Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad day for AST...

Default Sad day for AST...

Helo 1 and its crew were lost last night on a SAR mission out of Talkeetna. Wreckage found this morning and confirmed no survivors.

Be careful out there.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

My thoughts are with the families. They might have harassed me during moose season by flying so low and and making 6 passes, spooking what little moose there were where I hunt, that it did piss me off. Still... they were doing their job in both situations. God Bless em wherever they are
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Prayers to the families. Sad to hear those guys that risk there lives for others

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Case number: AK13021226
    Subject: Search and Rescue/Helicopter

On 3-30-13, at approximately 1935 hours, Palmer AST received a report of a stranded snowmachiner near Larson Lake. Helo 1 responded and picked up a trooper, then proceeded to the search area. At approximately 2158 hours, Helo-1 located the snowmachiner, landed, and picked him up. At approximately 2317 hours, Helo 1 was enroute to Sunshine Tesoro to meet with medics, but never arrived. Contact with Helo 1 was lost and a search and rescue was initiated. On 3-31-13 at approximately 0933 hours, an aircraft from the Rescue Coordination Center (RCC) located the crash site and searched for survivors, but none were found. The investigation is continuing.
    Received Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:31 PM and posted Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:37 PM
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

An absolute tragedy. I've flown with Helo 1 a couple times on local emergencies. I knew both the Trooper pilot and the Trooper onboard. A tremendous loss.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Words can not express the sadness.. Prayers for the family and friends.. Makes me want to go and hug my son and not let go...

Man,...we cannot possibly be Grateful Enough, for those who go out to rescue ones in trouble

almost always in nasty weather,...up against the odds,...

God Bless the Families of those Brave Ones
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default heroes

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    almost always in nasty weather,...up against the odds,...
    And they do it every day, day in and day out. And if perchance they're not actually doing it, they're training for doing it.

I guess its the hero thing. If you or I get in bad trouble we call them and they are very much the hero (when they save our sorry butts). They chose this line of work, so each one of them is a hero. And its hard to see heroes die.

It's sobering to remember the motto: "We have to go out - - - - - we don't have to come back." SAR is heavy and dangerous work. My hat is off to all those who choose to serve in that manner. And certainly my hat is off to those who took their last flight on the AST Helo 1.

I have to wonder what the emergency was.........????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have to wonder what the emergency was.........????

They said they were looking for a lost/stranded snowmachiner... now if that constitutes an emergency or not who knows.. I still think we should be billing these bozos that need saved from themselves because they arent prepared... Sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    They said they were looking for a lost/stranded snowmachiner... now if that constitutes an emergency or not who knows.. I still think we should be billing these bozos that need saved from themselves because they arent prepared... Sad indeed.
    Well.....I assume he had snowshoes and survival tent and sleeping bag, Compass, Matches, "FIRST AID KIT", food for five days, a small stove.............RIGHT.

You never know. Years ago I flew with Mel on Helo1 to go pick up a kid reported to be hypothermic. We arrived in the middle of the night to CPR in progress on a 15 year old. What was supposed to be a simple pick up and go turned into tragedy. Despite CPR from there to the hospital by myself and an adult that was with the snowmachine group, the young man did not make it. There is really no way to know how serious something is until you arrive, and that is why people in the business take every call seriously. Communications are often poor, information incomplete, and even the most prepared need a hand at times. Like many, I am awaiting official identification of the victims before sharing our memories.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You never know. Years ago I flew with Mel on Helo1 to go pick up a kid reported to be hypothermic. We arrived in the middle of the night to CPR in progress on a 15 year old. What was supposed to be a simple pick up and go turned into tragedy. Despite CPR from there to the hospital by myself and an adult that was with the snowmachine group, the young man did not make it. There is really no way to know how serious something is until you arrive, and that is why people in the business take every call seriously. Communications are often poor, information incomplete, and even the most prepared need a hand at times. Like many, I am awaiting official identification of the victims before sharing our memories.

BUT again: The party of snowmachiners had many sleeping bags........and the skills to deal with Hypothermic person.......Right......???

Might be wise to consider that the Snowmachiner, was also killed in the crash,..

so before all the facts are in,...might not be such a classy move to be questioning his character, preparedness,...and on and on
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Might be wise to consider that the Snowmachiner, was also killed in the crash,..

so before all the facts are in,...might not be such a classy move to be questioning his character, preparedness,...and on and on

What can be of value from this horrific event is that other's who venture into the Alaska wilderness, via any mode of transportation should always be 100% prepared to "Self Rescue", and have skills to survive in the wilderness. I am deeply sorry for the loss of life, but NOW is the time to slap everyone and say, "Be responsable".

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What can be of value from this horrific event is that other's who venture into the Alaska wilderness, via any mode of transportation should always be 100% prepared to "Self Rescue", and have skills to survive in the wilderness. I am deeply sorry for the loss of life, but NOW is the time to slap everyone and say, "Be responsable".
    Being seriously injured sometimes supercedes being responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Being seriously injured sometimes supercedes being responsible.

Perhapes if snowmachines well NOT used a "Kicks & Giggles TOYS" and used in a prudent and responsible way, there would be few "Serious Injuries".

-----------TAKING TIME AWAY FROM THIS FORUM----------
    Oh, how I wish this were true. Treatment for severe hypothermia is treated in a hospital, not in a tent or sleeping bag. It's a perfect reason to call a helicopter. Hell, even fisherman call for a rescue in that case and they have a big warm boat to handle people on. It must be nice being as perfect as you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast