Thread: Baggage question on Alaska Airlines

Default Baggage question on Alaska Airlines

I have a tuffpak type gun case and also a 36" hard case, would the tuff pak incurr the over sized chages since it is over the 63" or do they make exceptions for firearms, can't seem to fine an answer on their web site. They say golf clubs would not but they don't address longer gun cases

Been a while: I think that's covered under "sporting goods". They never charged me an oversized charge for a rifle case when I flew with rifles.

Under 50lbs should count as normal bag.

I had no extra charge last year when I flew other than the charge for more than two bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    Under 50lbs should count as normal bag.
    I've never seen them weigh or measure a rifle case. Alaska, Delta, Amercan, and a few foreign airlines. I like put my ammo in the gun case if allowed by the airline. Some don't.

Mike Strahan might know best on this but...in my experience NO. If its a gun...you'll check in through TSA anyway and have to be handed it in person at baggage claim in the oversize claim area. If its oversize without a gun...you'll still have to pick it up in the oversize area. Don't believe its a over charge.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

AK airlines is by far one of the best I have flown. They seem to be the most lenient. I doubt they charge extra.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Got dinged for $30 on a 7lb overage on AK air on saturday coming back from Denver and had a TSA inspection done in one suitcase, left there calling card and was missing a couple jars of jam my wife had made for the grandkids 8 made it 2 didn`t, bag had tsa locks on it inspection was done in ANC

Thumbs up Luv My Tuffpak

I've been back and forth from DFW to ANC on Alaska Airlines eight times since 2006 plus one trip to from ANC to Bethel and carried my Tuffpack each time. Never a problem. My wife and I have become masters at the 49.9 lbs per bag drill; I always carry a hand scale for the trip back. Just keep your key handy and be polite while the sleepy TSA swabs the thing. Valuables that aren't carryon go in the Tuffpak for the reason that TSA can't get in it by themselves (they are supposed to call you to unlock it). I wouldn't take less than replacement retail for my Tuffpak.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    Got dinged for $30 on a 7lb overage on AK air on saturday coming back from Denver and had a TSA inspection done in one suitcase, left there calling card and was missing a couple jars of jam my wife had made for the grandkids 8 made it 2 didn`t, bag had tsa locks on it inspection was done in ANC
    I think TSA stands for total stinkin @$$holes.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Alaska Airlines is great.... as long as you abibe by the "less than 50 lb per case". And if you are military, ex-military, Disabled Veteran ect.- they allow you FIVE (5) free bags (cases). I love it flying down to Texas for deer hunt. Coolers of meat (less than 50 lb) now fly free. I have only once had to pay for a rifle case- and that time had four long guns, a couple handguns, and Other stuff- wieghed 58 lbs- Paid the fee.

Chris

If the jars of jam had broken seals, or leakage,--- TSA romoves them for safety reasons. Best if you pack jars back is to overpack with ziplock bags, and clearly mark contents. I have had items removed from suitcases, but when you stand there and watch them with gun case- normally you are good to go.

Chris

Nope AK Air wont charge for oversize, I fly frequently(only time I fly is usually a hunting trip)with my rifle case and/or bowcase(much larger than my rifle case), both of which would be considered oversize but never even had them say anything or measure. Just keep it under 50lbs and your GTG.

All jars were sealed and packed in zip lock bags and marked ,done this a few dozen times with no problems .So I guess next time we`ll just add a couple extra for them .