Thread: Pelt Storage question

Default Pelt Storage question

I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to store some pelts that I have. All the pelts have been tanned. I have 2 wolves, and a coyote. I just don't want to ruin them. I had them all hanging up on hooks which I thought would be the best way to store and display them. I'm needing to put them in a box or rubbermaid bin for a few months or so due to my house going up for sale. I was just wanting to know if folding them up and putting them in a container would damage them or cause the fur to bend or anything like that. Thanks for any advice

When I store my pelts, I roll them, do not fold them, make sure they are completely dry, use a dry cleaner bag, put each pelt in a separate bag, then stack loosely in a plastic bin. When done, remove shake out and hang on a hook to view.

Do you mean the bags that the dry cleaners use after you get a garment back from them? Thanks

Are your hides taxidermy tanned or garment tanned. Wallhangers that are never going to be mounted should be garment tanned. If they are garment tanned, they will be fine just put in a dry box for storage. Hides that are taxidermy tanned are meant to be mounted within a year or two.

Yes the real light weight bags you get cleaned cloths in. You could use a white plastic bag, I use the thin ones because there is no smell from them.