Thread: Weighting shrimp pots

Default Weighting shrimp pots

I looked through the archive, and saw lots of info about adding weight to Steve's pots, but no I of about whether or how people add weight to the Lamson round pots from Donalson. I was thinking about putting some stainless chain along the bottom to add weight. Do any of you add weight to the Donalson pots, and how do you do it?

Thanks!

See if you can get some old gillnet leadline...a couple wraps of that around the base should work well.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I use the Ladner pots, and I do not put extra weight in them. I've never had a problem, but I also make sure I have plenty of extra line out. I agree that it can't hurt, but I run all five pots on one line and I really don't want to pull a lot of extra unneeded weight. BTW, I usually do have very nice hauls, so I think that it is working. If I only have 1 or 2 pots per line, I would consider doing it. Good fishing to you!

I run five to a set and don't weight them either. As long as you don't shortline yourself, 600-900 feet of leadline is enough to keep things on the bottom.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I'm thinking of running two on a string, each string with 600 ft of sinking line, and 150 ft of floating lines between the pots. Ace Brutus line hauler. So it seems that the weight would help. Am I right?

Using only 1-2 pots on a line yea you better weight them. Rocks are cheap up here, they work.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I fish my 5 Ladner pots on three strings (2-2-1) and use 5 1lb weights in each pot. I use zipties to attach them. I may have to use a few more in the single pot as i had to search for it too many times last year.

I got a bunch of lead in tube shapes from GratefulLead.com, screwed in some eye hooks into the ends, and use a super cheap alum carabiner to attach to the ladner pots. One on each side of the pot to balance them out, and down they go! Works great.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I have Steves pots I run 2 traps on each seperate lines then a single trap on one line. I zip tied the rebar to the inside bottom on the cages.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

When I wanted some rebar to weight my pots I went to my local steel place to buy a stick of rebar. They asked what I was looking for and then directed me to several drums of scrap cut off pieces from other jobs. I was able to pick through the drums and take whatever I wanted for free as they just let it build up then have it delivered to a scrap yard.
    This might be a good and free option for those with Steves or similiar pots.
    Never thought about the lead line idea for the round pots but that sounds like a great idea.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Seems to me that you'd have to add an awful lot of lead line or rebar to increase the weight any noticable amount. Doesn't the rebar get rusty?

I fish 2 ladner pots per string and was thinking of adding weight also. Sometimes the second pot comes up all twisted with the first. Whenever that happens I get very little shrimp. My guess is that it is bouncing around down there, not twisting on retrieval.

Mushroom anchor on the end of the line and a few feet above the uppermost pot.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If you add too much weight to the line above the uppermost pot it can drag the top pot down too fast and cause your whole string to pile up on top of each other. Not saying adding some weight is a bad idea, just that adding too much weight is counterproductive.

When I bought my three string from steve i began my search for weights. I looked all over for some scrap steal, or lead to weigh them down. I couldn't bring myself to buy the shrimp pot weights they sell at sportys due to the price. I ended up getting 2.5 lbs bar bell weights at sports authority for really really cheap. I put two of them per pot, one on each corner and secured them on the inside with cotton thread. Very cheap if you want new easy to use weights, and they make them in all kinds of materials. worked well for me.

I have a 16oz teardrop lead sinker mold and just zip tie 3 weights per pot.

There are two reasons to weight your pots, one is to help them stay on bottom which usually isn't a problem, but the other is to get them to sink faster which can be very important when dropping them in a current so that they land where you want them to land.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

ya can't make them to heavy !! just depends on what ya got to haul them back up with. The mesh pots have a greater water resistance(because of the nylon webbing) so they sink much slower and tend to not stick on the bottom like the wire pots. When i lobster fished we would have entire 20 pot strings of mesh or lath pots sail over the top of our wire gear in a bad storm, all that happened to the wire gear is the end couple of pots would swing around with the wind/waves jerking on the buoys. If i was to fish round pots(don't hold your breath) i think i'd weight them with rebar rings that i'd coat/dip into driveway sealer(cheap) or maybe pickup bed brush on liner(walmart) to stop them from rusting and there is always the green coated rebar that i think is used for bridgework.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692