Thread: end of april?

Default end of april?

If you had a week to spend chasing fish the last week of April where would you go? I'm going to be returning from my deployment here pretty soon and ill have some time off for my R&R, i'm trying to plan out somewhere to go fish. I have only been able to fish around the fairbanks area and haven't had a chance to fish many other places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Well there's halibut to be had out of Homer or Seward altho most of them are gonna be on the chicken size this early. The right skipper should be able to find a rock fish or 2.. Homer/Seward. And there's feeder kings out of Homer. I've never fished the Valdez area this early (I'll put that on the bucket list)..

Thank you for your Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Well there's halibut to be had out of Homer or Seward altho most of them are gonna be on the chicken size this early.
    I beg to differ..... I know of a few small holes not far off shore that almost always will hold some nice big fish. And if you're lucky enough to get into them first in the spring, then you'll have a real good ol' time. Just bundle up......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would go to the south east and chase steel!

Default April, Well can't wait.

14 more days = Yakutat steelhead. Can you see my smile from here.... Lol....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachment.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	69486

FF18, Get a couple buddies together, fly to Yakutat, rent a car and a driftboat, and spend the week catching steelhead. Best bang for your buck at this time of year, hands down.

I'd be giving Rick Baker in Ugak Bay or Jeff in Old Harbor a call. That's the kickoff for big kings. I'll be running around the hook that direction this weekend

My bad, forgot this is the fly forum.

you can't go wrong with the Situk. grab a tent rent a van (or get a taxi bu I hear thats about 100 one way to the river). catch steelhead, I always meet pretty cool people on the river. its a blast and that is the perfect time for it (bob at the shop says that the run might be early this year because of the warm weather.

Going to try fly fishing this spring and summer with my boy, and hoping I can get some insight on a few good spots around Fairbanks we can go in the afternoons...Any help will do, thanks in advance....

Quote Originally Posted by FF18 View Post
    If you had a week to spend chasing fish the last week of April where would you go?

Talk with Dave about steelhead rivers in SE Alaska as your trip timing would be perfect.

http://www.familyairtours.com/page6_lake%20trips.html

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post

Thank you for your Service.

Same here, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewMexican007 View Post
    Going to try fly fishing this spring and summer with my boy, and hoping I can get some insight on a few good spots around Fairbanks we can go in the afternoons...Any help will do, thanks in advance....
    Try the Chena River up the Chena Hot Springs Road all the way to the hot springs starting in mid June. Try size 12 Renegades on the surface.
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!