Thread: 9.8 HP Tohatsu at Sp Show $1650

Default 9.8 HP Tohatsu at Sp Show $1650

Sea Marita had non current year new 5 year warrnaty 9.8 HP Tohatsu 4 stroke for right over $1650 Short Shaft manual lightest 4 stroke around 84#. Great motor for Saturn Kaboat some square stern Canoes. At sportsman show in outside tent.

Default great find

Very nice motor and price. Great find and post. I got mine years ago from them, though mine is a 15 (same in every other respect) and it weighs 40 pounds more than that: 124#.

For many canoes that 9.8 would be perfect.

They sold 4 yesterday and they are not going to last at that price about they normally sell around or over 2 K.

FamilyMan,

I think I recall you have an Albany. Do you think the 9.8 Tohatsu would work well on the Albany, or does 15 hp match the Albany much better?

Would you predict that the 9.8 Tohatsu would grossly overpower the Scott Makobe?

Good deal on a nice motor. I have an 8.0 Tohatsu (same block) on a zodiac and love it. 84# beats the hell out of any other 4 stroke.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default 9.8 & Albany?

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
    FamilyMan,

I think I recall you have an Albany. Do you think the 9.8 Tohatsu would work well on the Albany, or does 15 hp match the Albany much better?

Would you predict that the 9.8 Tohatsu would grossly overpower the Scott Makobe?
    Rifleman,

I haven't tried the 9.8, but my feeling is that it would work so very very superbly. If I personally were looking at that transaction, I'd quite likely move forward and go with it asap. Saving that weight would be great (I have a little bow height problem) and the power I believe would be quite sufficient. It is worth noting that Scott recommends this size over a motor that is 15 hp like mine.

Re: the 9.9 with Makobe, I really cannot say. You'll get far better feedback that my shot in the dark on this second issue if you can get an answer from Pat @ Scott canoe, or some others; Max, Mainer, Sid, KK, and possibly anchskier come to mind.

Rifleman I think you will be just fine 9.8 Tohatsu at 84# . Where most Alaskans ran 9.9 & 15 HP on the Grumman Sport boat and 19 ' Freighters for years. Your Makobe has a wider stern and should be just fine may need a little weight in the bow. But use caution till you find how it handles.

the only time you would wish you had a 15 HP is when you are going to or from hunting trip the extra HP will help with the heavy load you have,
    going down strean you can't move the rig fast enought to miss the log jams . an going up stream you just don't have the extra power ,
    don't get me wrong the 9.9 will work but the 15 HP would work better on the long hall' s the little bit added weight don't matter,
    just add a little more weight in the front like the rest of us as all of our rigs are tail heavy , [ we put to much weight there ] the motor an our self's
    the only rigs that are ballanced will be the big ones 20 + FT long an 5 + ft wide . SID it is all money you have to spend for the rig

We a 9.8 tohatsu on a couple of 21 foot cedar strip freighters as well as a 9.9 Honda on a Hudson Bay. The tohatsus and Honda work well but 15 hp would be better. We are limited to 10hp or less on some the lakes we visit. Large load around 9 to 10 mph and light load approximately 14 mph. Overall the tohatsu is a very sound motor.