Thread: Deep creek inflatable launch

Default Deep creek inflatable launch

So I'm pretty sure I have read through a hundred threads about people launching in that area but if I could just get a few more specifics before I head that way this spring it would e awesome. I have a 15' avon with a 20 hp yamaha so total boat weight is only about 400-500 lbs. I have landing wheels but they are a little on the skinny side. I would feel more comfortable backing the trailer up to a place that I feel comfortable with and rolling the boat down to the water or back up so I dont get stuck. Do you guys think this is a good idea? If I did this what kind of window do I have to get in/out of the water? Also does it get pretty packed for camping in the area? I cant wait to catch some butts this spring!

I've launched my old inflatable many times from there. Either use the launch ramp in the creek itself on the upper part of the tide or use the beach. The beach isn't too hard. Just be smart. A safer way to beach launch is to turn left at the tractor launch and you will see a small stream coming off the hill. The narrow section is full of rocks and it's very solid there. Camping is great. Either in the campground or along the hills. Have fun.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

deep creak is great as well as Anchor , you can have lots of fun out there just think a little befor you go, if you do have ti small wheels you might think of the larger ones so roll on the sand an having 2 people when going an coming , one for thr car/ TK an one for the boat also the waves will give you some trouble when you launch but doable , have fun but safe
    SID

Charterboat Operator

DO NOT, launch or retrieve with your launch wheels down! seen way to many swampings this way. best to use them to roll the boat to the edge of the water, put the bow at edge of surf then fold your wheels up. Wait for the surf to help you float the boat. slide it into the water push out, paddle like heck for a minute then start the motor, go catch fisheys.
    best way to land an inflatable, IFthere is surf, is to come into the beach, turn the boat backwards, nose facing out to sea, then paddle into the beach with waves. This allows you to hit the beach and pull the motor up and out of the waves, while your bow rides them up and down. If it is calm you dont really need to worry about doing the backwards thing.
    another alternative, is to know the area you are landing, ROCKS, pick a smothe one, and unlock the tilt function on you motor. you can basically surf the boat right onto the beach, at a good speed, cut your motot just before you hit, and run it right up and out of the surf. This method does take practice and timing. I am sure many will scoff at this way, but it works well. If you spend any time on the beach, you will see many people doing this all the time, calm of rough water.

i have launch wheels on my inflatable also. they are rated for 450lbs and my load is about 350lbs. i usually jump out with the launch wheels down just at the water's edge and then time the wave to carry the boat out of the water while i pull from the nose. so far i've beach launch from whittier and seward but havent done deep creek yet. do they charge to use the boat launch at the creek?

Bender has it pretty well spelled out. Land it drag it up out of the water & then go for the truck / trailer. Our first inflatable was light enough to do this, just sometimes when you come in you need to take enough weight out in a hurry to drag it out of the surf line. One of the photos is where Rob talked about, off to the left of the tractor launch where it is a little harder ground. The other option is depending on how many people you have to hold the boat out in the water facing the waves until the trailer arrives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the hard way, holding until the trailer arrives, as long as your inflatable isn't to heavy you shouldn't have to do it this way. It will take a little practice to learn how to time it & run it up on shore while killing the motor & lifting it up all at the same time but you will get used to it. One time in the achilles we did the morning tide & I ran it up on the beach like a pro, with no effort involved. Went out for the eve tide & coming in I miss timed the waves, got the nose just about to shore & touching, when the wave broke as I was trying to lift the outboard up. The wife ducked the wave, the dog jumped out & was high & dry on shore, & as it picked up the back end of the boat it tossed me over the side. Luckily as we were only in about 8" of water, I stood up (outside the boat) locked the motor up & drug it another foot or so out of the tide line. Looked around to make sure no one was watching as it hurt the pride a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Charterboat Operator

Marmot, i used to do the same with my Klamath as well, had to reach out the back of the boat and release the screw for the hydrolics, hit the beach and cut the motor, then run around and screw the screw in so they would work again. usually could get out of the boat in tennis shoes!!
    ha ha for the good ald days, now its 65 bucks for the tractor every time you wanna go out!

Sweet, thanks a lot for the info. My rig is pretty light and we take very little gear so I feel confident we can make it work. I can wait to get down there and catch some fishes.