Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POW spring bear, how was it?

Default POW spring bear, how was it?

I am planning a trip to POW for spot and stalk DIY black bear, bow, for 2008. Lots of different opinions on what dates to hunt so I figured I would see how everyone did this year.

What dates did you hunt?

How many bears did you see and was this you or your group?

Do you think it was to early (bears not out yet), or to late and it was grown up and hard to locate bears?

Talked to AK F&G yesterday and was told that the kill is down even further than what it was at this time last year. Some roads are still not accessible because of snow.

Anyone else? That gives me an idea, think checking F&G stats would give a good idea when to go?

Default Just returned from POW

Real slow, spent a week saw 4 bears, about a 5, 5.5, 6.5 and the biggest black bear I have ever seen. To much snow, bears were just starting to move. Talking to the locals, it was the latest spring they could remember. Normally bears start to come out at the end of april and are plenty by the 2nd week of May. By the way the Deer seemed to winter pretty good.

Terry

Terry what dates where you there?

Default Dates

Got there on the 5th of may and quit hunting on 12 may, returned on the 13th.

Terry

Anyone else back yet?

Default bears?

Any else get a bear on POW this spring?

I heard it was a pretty poor year down there...

Too much hunting pressure the last couple years. Much better options elsewhere. PWS is having a great year, and will be the place to go for the next few.

ADF&G is looking at various management options to get a grip on the POW bear problems...

Remeber also, there are black bears in large numbers all throughout southeast, so don't restrict yourself to POW although from what I've hear POW has the best road system
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm heading there next Friday, thankfully mainly to fish with my daughter. Hope my luck with a bear is better than these reports.

I have been hearing that about the pressure, anyone suggest an alternate place to go? I want to bowhunt spot and stalk.

Default Pressure

Hey Don,

There is pressure everywhere you go truly. When people talk about pressure it's not like the whitetail woods of the midwest. Prince William Sound for example looks like the Hual Road with boats but people still crush them out there.

POW is a great place and will continue to be. I recommend going down, renting a skiff, and hjave the time of your life. The advantage to POW IS the roads and access to other areas during the course of your adventure. Also the steelhead and trout fishing will be great.

I have hunted both PWS and POW and either place would treat you great but POW has more ooptions.

My $.02

Gooch

hunted POW a few weeks ago...saw nothing....LOTS of people out there beach hunting...I wont be going back next year....better places to go...

Default OneLung's Recent Hunt

Hey OneLung,

It seems to me with your posts you are doing everything in your power to keep people away from POW and SE - the deer demise posts, no bear posts. THe deer seemed to have weathered the storm pretty good and the folks I have talked to that went to POW all saw bears.

I have looked through the PanhandleExposure site and it appears your one goal in life is to 'mess with people on the ODD' as you folks and your 32 members put it.

Sorry about your lack of luck but keep info factual.

Gooch

Default Bears are there

Don
    I went down to PWS Thurs night and come home with a 6’ 275 - 300# bear. We did hunt over bait but we also saw a nice sow and a VERY big boar (he didn’t come in). Everything this year is running a bit behind. If you want to hunt bring a rifle if not then enjoy the hike. My wife and I hiked the resurrection trail to Caribou Creek with my two young daughters. We did see some bear tracks but no bears. However a black bear did leave a “steamer” outside the cabin in the very spot we has set the SMORE fixn’s. I think he was trying to tell us something.

Drew

Thanks guys I begining to doubt my plan.

What dates do you guys like? I am leaning towards late May, mid may seems more popular but I figure if I go late they are sure to be out.

What are the disadvantages of going late? Rubbed bears? Missing bears fishing? Overgrown and tough to spot bears? I figure it is still better to have them out and tough to hunt then still in dens.

Am I on track?

I have been every year last 3 springs , the last week of may has been the best for us on those trips. big bears every year 100% succes and 2 out of 6 are record book.not much for fish. good crab and shrimp.very few other hunters,all do it ourselves rented skiffs and hunted the beach.also rented truck but liked beach hunt more.heard where we went last week was over hunted and shot out?? killed 2 big boars in three days 6'9" and 7'6" with 21 5/8 skull never seen another hunter. GO!

Yeah - Thats totally my goal in life - Thats why I posted a legitimate question in the hunting forum - Thanks for flaming me though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast