Thread: My new pup!

Default My new pup!

Well it's been a couple years already since my faithful old golden, Bear, passed on to the great hunting grounds in the sky. The last couple years were a bit hectic and I haven't felt like I had enough time to devote to a new pup, but things have settled down and I'm excited to bring a new dog into the family! I'd like to introduce everyone to Leo (short for Leonardo).

That's right - he's a standard poodle! He just turned 4 months old and we've had him for about 6 weeks; brought him up from Iowa. My wife has wanted a poodle for a long time. I've had Chessies, goldens, and German shorthairs in the past, and have of course have had the pleasure to hunt with numerous fine labs. After doing some research on poodles I was amenable to the idea, and am pretty confident he's going to turn into a pretty good bird dog. He just has the nicest temperment and is wicked smart. I'm constantly surprised how quickly he picks things up and am doing my best to stay a step ahead of him. He's been a lot of fun so far and I'm looking forward to a lifetime of working and playing with him. And I'm really looking forward to getting back into duck hunting again (used to do a lot pre-AK).

Anyway... I'll probably be around in here a lot more.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default In memoriam

A few photos of my late golden, Bear. He was a great hunter and had a lot of heart. I still miss him.

I'm looking forward to fostering the same drive and enthusiasm in Leo!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Very cool! The poodle has been making a nice come back it seems!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Do you have to keep a groomer on staff with one of those

Seriously though, congrats & good luck, have only come across one other poodle that was being used as birddog keep us posted on his progress.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Very interesting! Keep us posted. Looks like a happy pal!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

I will have to stop over one of these days. But he looks like a keeper.

Read somewhere that Poodles were originally water(hunting) dogs, the tight curly hair was to keep water out. If you look up Irish Water Dog, you'll see something that looks a lot like a Poodle.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!