Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nushagak River 2013

Default Nushagak River 2013

is going single hook and no bait this year-read the regs

Glad to hear it. The whole state should adopt that permanently.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Glad to hear it. The whole state should adopt that permanently.
    Please tell me why for the sake of good discussion ?

Quote Originally Posted by J-FRAME View Post
    Please tell me why for the sake of good discussion ?
    Agreed. I can only assume that ysr racer means by his post all fishing in freshwater should be curtailed. Regulating just sport fishing and not commercial fishing is only a bandaid approach to a much larger problem. Declining statewide king numbers points to ocean issues impacting the stock the most. All user groups need to share the burden.

As a person who has caught and released hundreds of kings in the Nushagak, I think single hook is the way to go,no matter what the allocative peeing match is. I largely back trolled k-16's with a single hook (even downstream at slack tides) I usually used a sardine wrap but fished with guys that went 1:1 with me using no bait when the fish were in at any numbers.

Yes the subsistence and commercial guys "take" more than sportfishing each year, the issue is likely that there is a mortality beyond our sport "take" that can be controlled, especially considering who many fish can be caught and released in a day. For instance, my two best days on the Nush were 48 and 49 kings in the boat (two people), all back trolled with single hooks. With this method I had few fish I feel were in the mortality mode and I bonked anything that did, within the letter of the law.

However, double hook rigs, trebles and gobs of eggs do much more damage due to their design and the nature of waiting for a king to gnarsh on the glob before setting the hook....not to mention the extra handling time for all those released fish.

Although it would seem the sport industry is taking the hit on actually doing something to ensure the health of the fishery, it's still the right thing to do, really won't hurt catch rates, and will do our part and then some for the resource. Bottom line is Bristol Bay is sockeye territory, all management decisions after a certain date are about reds and only reds and only until that changes are you going to see anything from the commercial end other than lip service. I know many of the fishermen out there and have met even more, they all support taking it easy on the kings, but as we all know when it starts to affect your wallet, your support becomes pretty low key, and no substantive change will happen unless forced upon the fishery.

A little history to this---the proposal that was generated by the board was for no bait and single hook,as one of only a couple people that fought to keep bait on the Nush at the Nushagak AC meeting,(i hold the seat for Portage Creek)we had very little information on the proposal other then it was a board generated one,we asked to amend to the proposal to go single barbless hooks and keep the bait.It was a hard fought battle to get that!I also testified to the board at the Nak Nek meeting.the proposal stated it was for slowing down the mortality rate on kings from may-july.Now when all is said and done the Nushagak is now a single hook river yr round for all fishing.This puts 99.9999 percent of the locals tackle box illegal to fish.I am all for the single hook for kings but for the board to go the way it did is beyond belief.There are certain codes for single hook rivers such as-a gap between point and shaft can be no wider then 1/2 inch and no weights.I have been told by f&g in Dillingham that this will not be the case on the Nush.The Nushagak AC will be haveing another meeting on the 15th and i see the single hook issue is on as old buss.I hope that there will be a message sent to the board chairman that they went to far on this.

Quote Originally Posted by gusuk1 View Post
    A little history to this---the proposal that was generated by the board was for no bait and single hook,as one of only a couple people that fought to keep bait on the Nush at the Nushagak AC meeting,(i hold the seat for Portage Creek)we had very little information on the proposal other then it was a board generated one,we asked to amend to the proposal to go single barbless hooks and keep the bait.It was a hard fought battle to get that!I also testified to the board at the Nak Nek meeting.the proposal stated it was for slowing down the mortality rate on kings from may-july.Now when all is said and done the Nushagak is now a single hook river yr round for all fishing.This puts 99.9999 percent of the locals tackle box illegal to fish.I am all for the single hook for kings but for the board to go the way it did is beyond belief.There are certain codes for single hook rivers such as-a gap between point and shaft can be no wider then 1/2 inch and no weights.I have been told by f&g in Dillingham that this will not be the case on the Nush.The Nushagak AC will be haveing another meeting on the 15th and i see the single hook issue is on as old buss.I hope that there will be a message sent to the board chairman that they went to far on this.
    All good information. Keep it coming. I would rather have less kings than NO KINGS at all.

Thumbs down Another new reg

All good information. Keep it coming. I would rather have less kings than NO KINGS at all.
    There is a change in the Nushagak king/silver mangement plan---the trigger numbers for regulating sports fishing on the Nushagak have been increased from 70,000 to 90,000,the increase is do to the new didson sonar that f&g have been useing for the past couple yrs,they say it counts better so there for the numbers have increased.you can find the numbers that they are useing by looking up the nush ac min.i was unable to attend that meeting and if i had attended i would have opposed,just don't trust the sonor here,been screwed by the count too many times

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Agreed. I can only assume that ysr racer means by his post all fishing in freshwater should be curtailed
    Nope, I'm a hunter and a fisherman, and I want my grandkids to be able to fish and hunt too

Regulating just sport fishing and not commercial fishing is only a bandaid approach to a much larger problem.
    Agreed

Declining statewide king numbers points to ocean issues impacting the stock the most.
    Agreed

All user groups need to share the burden.
    AGREED !!!
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Nope, I'm a hunter and a fisherman, and I want my grandkids to be able to fish and hunt too

Agreed

Agreed

AGREED !!!
    So whats your favorite rigging/hook size for a single hook set-up K15 -K16 ??

I just run a 1/0 or 2/0 siwash off the back on a swivel. I've tried the bead chain method off the front eye but it gives me wierd hook ups and can get deep sometimes.

I've also run a siwash with two split rings (just take the trebles off, put the front split on the back on, then adjust the eye so that the siwash runs hook UP.) IF you are running a 30 or 40 pound leader to a swivel to keep the gack off your line, the swivel above does a nice job of keeping the fish from twisting the hook out.

Releases just take pliers and a glove, I net the ones that get fiesty but just try to pop them off without netting if I can. I don't worry about the big hook size as I usually run k-16's and rarely catch dinkers with them so there is little to no eye gouging going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I just run a 1/0 or 2/0 siwash off the back on a swivel. I've tried the bead chain method off the front eye but it gives me wierd hook ups and can get deep sometimes.

I've also run a siwash with two split rings (just take the trebles off, put the front split on the back on, then adjust the eye so that the siwash runs hook UP.) IF you are running a 30 or 40 pound leader to a swivel to keep the gack off your line, the swivel above does a nice job of keeping the fish from twisting the hook out.

Releases just take pliers and a glove, I net the ones that get fiesty but just try to pop them off without netting if I can. I don't worry about the big hook size as I usually run k-16's and rarely catch dinkers with them so there is little to no eye gouging going on.
    Thanks for the set-up info.

Up Date for the Nushagak Bait will be allowed on the Nushagak this year.I read the rules and regs and went to the Dept Fish and Game here in Anchorage for a interpretation and was told no bait by a gentleman there.It was bad information. Read the regs carefully. Bait may be used until you limit out for the day then no bait for the remainder of that day as a catch and release fisherman.Still single hook only.

Hmmm, so essentially if a guy wanted, he could run his eggs or wrapped plug all day and not bonk anything......I consider this fishery pretty not meat motivated as you can only keep four per year from the river and you need to freeze them to get them off your possession (which takes a nice guide camp to do), so allowing bait up to the point of a daily limit is a pretty hollow regulation.

So what's your favorite rigging/hook size for a single hook set-up K15 -K16 ??
    Beats me, I always fish with a guide when I'm up in AK

I do know that even a goof like me can kill 'em when using bait. It's too efficient of a killer. In the last ten years I've seen good runs dwindle down to almost nothing.

If you've got a better plan so your (and my) grandkids will have fish, feel free to share.

The best I can come up with is, no bait, single hook, close down the Susitna Drainage for a few years (life cycles), monitor by-catch more closely, cut the Comm days in half, and outlaw set-nets.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Folks from out of state who really know nothing about Alaska's fish should really not give us advice on how to run our fishery.

If you've got a better plan so your (and my) grandkids will have fish, feel free to share.
    See above
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA

Beats me, I always fish with a guide when I'm up in AK

I do know that even a goof like me can kill 'em when using bait. It's too efficient of a killer. In the last ten years I've seen good runs dwindle down to almost nothing.

The best I can come up with is, no bait, single hook, close down the Susitna Drainage for a few years (life cycles), monitor by-catch more closely, cut the Comm days in half, and outlaw set-nets.
    I would add: Put a bounty on all Pike in south central Alaska.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

South Central is not the Nushagak. Pike are natural here and don't need to be bountied. The are a nice sport fish and taste great as well. Not all one size regulations fit all of Alaska. Please let's keep this thread on the Nushagak.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    South Central is not the Nushagak. Pike are natural here and don't need to be bountied. The are a nice sport fish and taste great as well. Not all one size regulations fit all of Alaska. Please let's keep this thread on the Nushagak.

George
    That's why he said South Central. But this is obviously an aside.....indeed, lay off Bristol Bay pike....they belong there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast