Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guides of the '70's and 80's

Default Guides of the '70's and 80's

Sitting here daydreaming of years gone by. What are the "old " guides up to? Having been an assistant some names come to mind but I'll let you fill in the blanks.

From Haines there was the Katzeek (Ron Martin) family and probably best known was Duncan Gilchrist.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Amigo, that was out of bounds for me. Anyone else?

Cool The good ol' days . .

I worked for Nick Botner out of Talkeetna for a summer/fall back in the early '70s. My wife and I ran Stephan Lake Lodge . . she cooked and cleaned while I took Germans and Swiss fishing on Prairie Creek for kings. We took Americans out for sheep and caribou in the fall.

We left Alaska late that fall . . had 40 acres in Talkeetna that became very valuable after the vote to move the capital. Sold out, went to Michigan, and have never owed on a house since.

Botner left a few years later . . retired to Oregon.

Those were the days . . Sheldon was still alive . . Ray Genet was alive . . the Fairview was alive . .

Attachment 69450

Yep, just like the song "THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND, I THOUGHT THEY'ED NEVER END" TA RA RA RA...............

Ok Roland I'll throw some names for you... Lonnie "Hardie" Temple and Brad Temple.. First taxidermists in Alaska and also guides

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Ok Roland I'll throw some names for you... Lonnie "Hardie" Temple and Brad Temple.. First taxidermists in Alaska and also guides
    Are they still guiding? CAn you some info about there guiding?

wes

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    . . the Fairview was alive . .

Man, given a time machine, stepping back into the Fairview circa 1970 would be quite the experience. To be a fly on the wall with beer in hand...

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    Are they still guiding? CAn you some info about there guiding?

wes
    Nope... More taxis then guides but Lonnie was a very special person to me and I have a lot to thank him for when we meet again.. Some of the best men of their time along with a lot of others including you Joe and I am sure you may remember them...

http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/...01obi832.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, given a time machine, stepping back into the Fairview circa 1970 would be quite the experience. To be a fly on the wall with beer in hand...

You'd have seen more than you might want to, Brian, streaking through the Fairview wasn't uncommon.

And mustn't forget full body-bags in Sheldon's hangar.

Those were the days . . Sheldon was still alive . . Ray Genet was alive . . the Fairview was alive . .

Attachment 69450
    Is That You Marcus,....??

Cool recollection,...40 acres,...once,...at the right time,...wow

tho I heard Ray Genet,...was a lightweight,...
    (ha ha,..yeah, just kidding)

I just missed those days,...probably wouldn't have run into those guys anyway, but,.... they still are legends in my mind
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Come on Marcus surey you have some stories of days past of the Fairview..

I to am curious of the picture...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Is That You Marcus,....??

Cool recollection,...40 acres,...once,...at the right time,...wow

tho I heard Ray Genet,...was a lightweight,...
    (ha ha,..yeah, just kidding)

I just missed those days,...probably wouldn't have run into those guys anyway, but,.... they still are legends in my mind

Yeah, that's me . . 40 years ago . . half a caribou on the pack frame.

Genet wasn't a big man, but he had a look about him. One night in the Fairview, a bunch of us, including our wives and girlfriends, were sitting at table, gabbing, and drinking beer when some big, young buck approached and asked Genet's girlfriend to dance. Genet looked up at the guy and ever so gently shook his head. The kid just turned and walked quietly away.

Carroll and Verna Close were running the Roadhouse in those days . . Carroll doing most of the cooking. I was seated, with other folks at the long table used for common meals one morning for breakfast. Carroll was cooking, Verna was serving. As Verna passed behind me with serving dishes full of eggs and such, she said, and it wasn't a whisper, "Take off your hat."

The 40 acres that we bought didn't have a road to it, so I bought an old TD-18 'dozer and built the road in with the help of friends. We lived in Anchorage during that time, parking the 'dozer at Botner's place down the road, coming up on weekends to work. It was winter, and before starting the 'dozer, we had to build a fire under the belly and defrost the engine before it would start. Picture of my wife, later that spring, cleaning junk our of the tracks.

Attachment 69469

Cool Pic,...Looks like, "Quite a Gal"

those old pictures are Valuable aren't they ??

and I do remember Verna,...quite well,...the Roadhouse was a great place in the morning, back in those days
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

She is indeed, kodiakrain . . we celebrate 50 years this coming June.

The old photos cut both ways . . good memories tinged with sorrow . .

"That is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again."

Those pics can't be from rural Ak.....no one is wearing a headnet!
    BK

She is indeed, kodiakrain . . we celebrate 50 years this coming June.

The old photos cut both ways . . good memories tinged with sorrow . .

"That is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again."
    Sir as you know a good woman can make or break a mans life and I offer my congratulations to your lovely wife for putting up with you so long... Lol. Just kidding of course congratulations to the two of you I am sure it will be a blessed day...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Sir as you know a good woman can make or break a mans life and I offer my congratulations to your lovely wife for putting up with you so long... Lol. Just kidding of course congratulations to the two of you I am sure it will be a blessed day...

Thank you, Bear, it has been, all things considered, a blessed 50 years, and our kids and grandkids will do their best to ensure it's a blessed day.

I worked for Nick Botner out of Talkeetna for a summer/fall back in the early '70s. My wife and I ran Stephan Lake Lodge . . she cooked and cleaned while I took Germans and Swiss fishing on Prairie Creek for kings. We took Americans out for sheep and caribou in the fall.

We left Alaska late that fall . . had 40 acres in Talkeetna that became very valuable after the vote to move the capital. Sold out, went to Michigan, and have never owed on a house since.

Botner left a few years later . . retired to Oregon.

Attachment 69450
    My goodness, John. We had bought High Lake Lodge from Ken and Mry Oldham in those days. Knew Don sheldon quite well, and Ray Genet about half as well. One of my guide districts later included that area north and east from Stephan Lake, about 7,000 square miles. Shared a small area around High Lake, Madman Lake, Shadow Lake, and Swimming Bear Lake with Ray. Didn't know you were just over the hill . . . . .

Lots to talk about in August, my friend.

Mort

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    My goodness, John. We had bought High Lake Lodge from Ken and Mry Oldham in those days. Knew Don sheldon quite well, and Ray Genet about half as well. One of my guide districts later included that area north and east from Stephan Lake, about 7,000 square miles. Shared a small area around High Lake, Madman Lake, Shadow Lake, and Swimming Bear Lake with Ray. Didn't know you were just over the hill . . . . .

Lots to talk about in August, my friend.

Mort

Mort,

You weren't the guy who blew up Nick's spike camp, were you? Botner had built a spike cabin somewhere, flying in each and every bit of it, and when he went in the last time, all that was left were some matchsticks. Evidently, someone figured Nick was getting too close.

Different times in those days. I recall the state troopers coming around with pictures, warning Talkeetna area residents about an escaped killer. Troopers told us to carry a gun wherever we went and if we saw the guy, "Don't call us, don't try to take him alive, kill him."

Your cigar awaits . . looking forward to it,

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast