Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Montana?? Owner input please

Default Kimber Montana?? Owner input please

I'm looking at purchasing a new kimber and have shot a friends in 300wsm, and it is a shooter but have read and heard so many contradictory reviews on them little Leary about getting a bad one. If you have any experience with them please chime in good bad or indifferent. I'm looking at the 300wsm as well. Thanks guys

My experience? Not a good one. Took fire lapping, and many bullets / loads to get it to shoot under 1.5"

After that, awesome. Lightweight gun which shoots 1.0-1.5 Moa,, and is built like a quality custom. What more could you want?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Worse rifles ever built! Just get a J-lock model 700 Remington and you will be set.

My Kimber 300 wsm doesn't feed as well as I would like occasionally. I don't buy factory rounds so it's possible that my reloads are the issue. I've had other rifles do the same so it's not a deal breaker. That being said, whenever I head out hunting, it's the only rifle that heads into the field as long as I'm not brown bear hunting. It shoots sub one inch groups for 3 rounds....after that it tends to start opening up slightly. It's a pleasure to carry and shoot. I would buy another one without any regret's.

I like my two. They will put 3 shots under an inch. I never have run factory ammo through it though, always hand loads. My buddy has one and its a shooter as well.

I have owned three different Kimber rifles. The best was a 84L in 30-06 that I bought and sold last year. The first two made me swear to never buy another one but I broke that promise to myself.

The first ones were the 8400 model and both gave problems with feeding and accuracy. Maybe I should say lack of accuracy. The 30-06 was really good or really bad. Sometimes I could get the first two shots to touch at 100 yards and a third shot about an inch to an inch and a half from those two. The next time I fired it, using the exact same ammo out of the exact same box and it would look like you had fired buckshot at the target.

Those problems are bad enough but trying to talk to the idiots at Kimber is an exercise if futility. They act like you owe them a lot of money. Customer service is a joke at that organization.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have owned six Kimber 8400's two of which were Montana's. I never had a problem with any of them, in fact the only one I still have is a Montana in .325wsm which I am taking moose hunting in the Selawik this year. I didn't sell the others because there was anything wrong with them, I sold them to help fund the purchase of a double rifle. I guess I should add that I do not use factory ammo in any of my rifles, I always load my own.

I have 7-08 i load for & it is a tack driver once i put a simms barrel resonator on it.

Thanks guys for the input, it seems some like them and others hate them, I have talked to a few dealers and they have said the last few years the qc has gotten a lot better and that they had a batch with a crappy crown on the barrel that you couldn't get under a 3 inch group with, but they also said kimber took Care of it. I think I'll just go for it, if it doesn't work out I'll try and sell.

A decade ago, I made a list of features I wanted in a custom rifle I was considering to have built. Then
    I decided to save $$$ and bought a Kim Mont 300wsm with all those features.

I mounted a Leupold and Talley LWs, bought a box of Fed 180 TSX and promptly shot a 1" group. I've never handloaded for it and I loan it to visitors every fall.....it continues to be extremely reliable and accurate and has accounted for a dozen moose and other critters.

Based on that experience, I've purchased three other kimbers:

The Kim Mont 338Federal will shoot 1.5" with Federal ammo and will get some handloading attention when weather allows. The scope is a 2.5x UL Leupold and the entire outfit weighs 5.25 pounds. Shooting from the bench, I get best groups with these light rifles when I pull the front sand bag back close to the action.

The Kimber Varmint 84M 22-250 just produced a five shot group of .436

My Kimber Talkeetna 375 H&H has proven very reliable and accurate but the long barrel on a light synthetic stock makes for a muzzle heavy rifle. Not as comfortable to carry.

As with all my rifles, I hone the feed ramp and rails for smoother feeding. New Kimbers often have sharp edges on the rails that leave scratches on the cartridge cases thus inhibiting smooth feeding. The WSM cartridges usually don't feed as smoothly as some of the less tapered cartridges.

I was very comfortable shooting my bro in laws kimber montana in a .300wsm. great little gun very light and the recoil wasn't bad either. i was actually thinking about getting one or something similiar from kimber one of these days. I know accuracy is important but for me a 2 inch group or a .5 inch group off a bench doens't matter so much. shots afield are rarely perfect yardage, perfect rest, or anything like bench shooting at all. i agree i dont want bullets flying all over the place but an inch or so here or there probably wont make a huge difference in the distances i try to shoot. if you want 1000yrd shots probably a different story.

Wow a lot bad reviews out there! Im surprised. Ive had my Kimber montana .308 for 5 years now and its shot 2 moose, 2 caribou, and a sheep and its performed amazing! Never had any issues with feeding or accuracy. Ive gone through at least 10 boxes of factory ammo and its always been reliable and my go to gun.

Buddy loves his 7wsm. I always see people saying how..all their hunting rifle will shoot is 1" groups...gosh dang for a hunting rifle there is nothing wrong with 1". If i get 1" groups its time to extend to 200..just my cents

Before the work I did to mine, it shot 5" plus with several loads and factory ammo. Mine is a 2007 manufacture -06
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My Montana is a 270wsm. I had a lot of feeding problems, especially with lighter grain ammo, and sent it back to Kimber. They polished the rails and ground down the ramp and it reduced feeding problems greatly. Still a little grabby at times but nothing I can't deal with. It's fickle with ammo. The higher grain bullet, the better it shoots. I have it dialed in with hand loads to sub moa but even if I change betwee the same load in brass and nickel casing it will shoot different. The thin barrel will never allow more than a three shot group before it starts sending fliers but I really don't need to put more than three shots on target anyway.

I like the features of the gun but if I ever bought another Montana it would be a standard cartridge and not a short mag.

My 2 cents......

Bought one in 300 win mag and sold it less than 6 months later. Accuracy combined with fit and finish problems decided it for me.

I want to have complete confidence in my rifle so I know any shooting error is completely human driven.

Hope you get a good one!

Do any of you have a really rough action?

I just picked on up in 7mm-08 and have noticed the action is really rough when I run the bolt. I still haven't fired it. I've done a few things to lighten it even more and plan to do some load developing this time home from the slope, but I'd like to take care of all the work I'm gonna do to it before taking it to the range so once (if?) I dial in a load, I won't have to change the rifle any further.

I've had a 325wsm since 05. Bought new at Frontier Outfitters n Fbks. It shot cloverleafs out of the box with factory Winchester ammo. 200gr Accubonds. I've been able to duplicate the factory load and it shoots like this. 2940pfs I've also got a 220gr load that shoots as well, 2800fps. I've done nothing to it other than magnaport (not muzzle brake) to tame muzzle flip.

Leupold 2.5-8x36, Tally LW rings/bases, bikini scope cover, basic nylon strap, nylon shell holder on the stock. Loaded with 3 rnds all up it weighs 7lbs 4ozs.

It did develop a small 1/8th inch hole/divot in the front of the forestock on my first hunt. Must have been a bubble during the molding process. I called Kimber and they sent me a brand new stock. No other issues at all.

I went on a sheep hunt with an old forum member here. He had a 300wsm that shot cloverleafs with a factory 165gr tsx load. He took a nice ram with it. I could not get mine to shoot 180tsx's but no need. 200gr AB's is my go to load.

I love my Kimber and have killed sheep, moose and bear with it. It's a keeper.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I purchased one in .300 wsm when they first came out and shot sub 1" moa right out of the box using cheap winchester factory ammo. I do agree with (an above post) regarding feeding issues and wish mine fed a little easier. As far as accuracy, this thing is definitely a shooter. I think the only firearm I own that shoots better is my 700 Remington .22-250, but hard to compare a .300wsm that weighs a little over 7 lbs. (loaded with scope, etc.) to a .22-250 that probably weighs over 9 lbs all included.

As is usual with these Kimber threads, you are going to get a wide variety of results. I have had more than I care to admit to, from 84's, the original
    8400's, the 84L's and two Talkeetna's. Most all were Montana versions. Most all needed a little TLC to get them to perk admirably. I'm at the
    point now where I automatically skim bed the lug rearward and forward before ever going to the range. A little crocus cloth to tame down the feed rails is normal too. Adjust the trigger to 2.5 #'s and Ultra Bore Coat the rifling is "sop". Check the magazine box to make sure it isn't tight and putting pressureon the action is a good idea.
    The 84M's in .308 have been absolutely spectacular with the 84L's in .270 and 30-06 pretty darn nice too. The Talkeetnas shoot like heavy barrel varmint rifles. All in all still the best dollar spent on a tough as nails, inclement weather, CRF rifle imho. ALthough you are free to differ.

The rival to it now is the Forbes 24B, which, as a dedicated rifle loony I am testing out one in 30-06.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast