Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the worst tasting land animal in Alaska?

Default What is the worst tasting land animal in Alaska?

I just read about the guy eating the marmot, and got me thinking.... What is the worst tasting animal you all have eaten in Alaska. I want to hear all the funny stories.

me personally i was on the Klutina a few years back and me and a buddy had consumed more then our fair share of adult beverages when my wife wanted to shoot a porcupine. Well we then wondered what it tasted like so we skinned it which is much harder than skinning a normal animal. By normal i mean one that doesn't have a defense system even when it is dead. We cooked it over the fire and almost puked. It was terrible She shot it with 7 shot 12 gauge so i know it wasn't its guts we were tasting. By man was it nasty. My buddies wife really wanted the quills for a necklace so not wasted.

Lets hear some good stories.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

I didn't find porcupine to be too bad. I had it in a chili and that may have thrown the flavor off though. Personally the wost I have ate is raccoon. Ick! My step dad hit one with a car one day and decided to take it home to try it out, it was the worst tasting thing I have ever had.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

although I just read your thread title and saw you meant worst tasting in AK. Rutting caribou is pretty bad.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Rutting 'bou is pretty rough...

Can't say I'm a fan of red squirrels, fishy black bear or beaver tails either.

Never had the courage to try muskrat.

Coyote will just have to remain a mystery.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The worst for me, and I know this will shock some of you, but it was rutted up blacktail from Kodiak during mid-November. My god it was awful, ended up giving it all away to someone that wanted to make jerky. It was really cold, the deer were gutted literally minutes after killed and hung and skinned within hours. Meat was well cared for as I'm pretty anal about that. But my god it was awful to eat, really musky tasting.

Tried wolf wasnt impressed had porcupine after it was boiled and made into stew was good

'bou for sure, but I haven't tried porkies yet!

I've tried yeti once, guy was cooking some up near mp 128 couple years ago. Taste like porcupine piss.. Then again he was kinda smashed and very well could have been porcupine pee..
    yuck
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Beaver tail huh? Never even heard of that. Is it like a naive delicasy. For everyone saying porcupine wasn't bad next time your camping and happen to see one give it a whirl i think you might have a different opinion if you eat it plain with no sauce or spices. i forgot about rutted bou. Never had it but that is at the top of most peoples lists. good stuff so far.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    Beaver tail huh? Never even heard of that. Is it like a naive delicasy.
    More like "trapper delicacy".... supposedly it was gonna be like bacon.

Trappers are notorious liars apparently.....
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Clam Gulch Puma

Real gamey. Did gut shoot with a 12 ga though. Glassed up with angled spotter.

Mtn goat was by far the worst thing I have had. The smell while I was gutting it was horrid, it was cleaned within an hour of shooting it. After cooking it I had to leave the doors of the house open all day to air the place out the smell was just frigging flat out nasty. The dog wouldn't even go close to it and you couldn't put enough spices on it to cover the flavor. (yes after all that I did try it) I think I got a bad one I have never heard anyone with the same results. It was in august and it was a small one so I figured it would be good. Wow was I wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Fall brown bear on the coast that had been eating fish and washed up wales all summer. Yuk... Even tried mixing a lot of good meet and spices and grinding into sausage. Still didn't help much

Prince of Wales Black Bear .... that have been on the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I've tried yeti once, guy was cooking some up near mp 128 couple years ago. Taste like porcupine piss..
    What I wanna know is just how would you know what porcupine piss tastes like?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nice fat Kodiak red fox. In my younger days I was challenged to eat one in kind of a roundabout way. Had a long chat with a lady who believed very firmly that the only good reason to kill an animal was to eat it; trapping or shooting an animal just for its fur wasn't ethical in her book. So on a long solo hunt in Kodiak I ran out of food at spike camp, happened to have a recently shot fox carcass nearby, and I decided to give it a whirl. I was very hungry before beginning the meal; I was not at all hungry after a couple bites! Needless to say, I still feel it is quite ethical to harvest animals for skins only; the carcasses make bait for more fur bearers, and feed other birds and animals, and the money I receive for the pelts allows me to buy food. I've also made very warm, attractive hats and gloves from the furs.

Rutted Caribou, Fishy Bear and Seagull, in that order.

Marmot is pretty dang good when they are fat, and its roasted over Alder coals.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Could we change this up a bit? The animal eaten was prime for it's kind...not rutty, kept clean processed quickly, aged properly, etc. Having only had moose, black bear (spring) and black-tail, the deer was the worst. Some people can screw anything up in the cooking and that was the case.

Red fox! I also shot one and felt the need to try it.... I ground mine into burger, it was real lean so I ground some bacon up and mixed it in. Made up some burger patties and grilled them up. YUCK! Even with 25% bacon mixed in and more bacon on top I couldn't get past the first bite it was that bad!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    What is the worst tasting animal you all have eaten in Alaska.
    Fall black bear that has been eating fish heads and human garbage at the end of the season. Reeks before you even quarter it out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast