Thread: Treating burns

Question Treating burns

We have all kinds of firestarting equipment in our survival kits, but heat can hurt too. A guy at work was seriously burned the other day and it got me thinking...I don't have anything for treating burns in my first aid kit. I could do it with what I have, but I guess I don't know enough about what's available for medical treatment.

I've always followed the rule that less is better and keep wound dry. Absolutely no oils or ointments and keep open to air. My only options right now would be to clean with something??(suggestions) and cover with a dry gauze. What do you do in the case of a blister (caused by boiling water splashing on a hand for example)? The guy at work had to have his blister popped because of the extreme pressure it put on his hand.

So how about some advice on treating burns and post-burn care, especially in the field.

Cool the skin, clean it and cover it. Don't wrap tightly though as swelling may occur depending on the severity of the burn. Leaving it exposed to air makes it more painfull. There are specialized dressings you can get for burns that have a cooling gel.

Quite a few years ago one of the boys camping with us burnt his hand at the camp fire. If I am remembering correctly someone brought over some Silvadene cream. I think that's the correct name. It was a prescription only med but worth having in the even of a good burn.

Default How do they do it?

How does everybody get the prescribed stuff? I don't visit the doctor much and I'd bet a doctor has doubts about giving a 25 year old kid a potent pain killer! Beyond that, isn't that illegal?? I guess I would only be going on recommendations from others as of what to get and what it is used for.

Red face curiosity has got me

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Cool the skin, clean it and cover it. Don't wrap tightly though as swelling may occur depending on the severity of the burn. Leaving it exposed to air makes it more painfull. There are specialized dressings you can get for burns that have a cooling gel.
    I have only been burned a few time (not counting practical jokes) and I know that air is painful. What I don't know is why?? Particals in the air?? Too much oxygen directly on a wound??
    I'm fishing for an explanation here...Anybody got one?

Neosporin and a bandage. If the burn is more serious than that remedy can handle? Neosporin and a bandage....and a ride to the ER.

From what I know, flush it with water to stop it from cooking; if it's minor then use burn cream & wrap it loosely with gauze. Painkillers help. If it's large/deep or in someplace serious like the face or groin, or if the victim is a child, then evacuate. I think you treat burn blisters like normal ones - do you best to keep them intact. I read a trick about safely lancing them but can't remember it now. :\

You know, I don't think burn treatment items are in my kit either.

Default Burns

In our first aid kits we carry a product called 'waterjel'. It is a sterile gel-soaked burn dressing. The one that we carry is the 4x4 size, but we also keep one of the larger ones at the vehicle. We used to carry a treated burn blanket, but they got expensive to replace.
    My wife gets the from Safety Inc in Anchorage.
    Hope that this helps.

Thumbs up Burn ointment

I burn myself more often than I'd like, occupational hazard you know and the best stuff I've ever found is a salve called ichthammol, you can get it at freddies through the pharmasist and I get the stronger of them at 20%
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Ohhhh nothing hurts like a burn. A cool pack or some of that cooling gel as has been mentioned would be ideal until you could get medical treatment. I had an accident involving boiling water once that took off about 70% of the skin on my hand. It burned for weeks! Pain killers and cold packs were the only way that I could stand it. Clean as best you can with water. The safest way to lance a blister would be a sterilyzed pin inserted right next to where the blister starts to raise, as in right next to the flat part of the skin. Try to keep the hole small so bacteria has less of a chance to enter. Leave the skin in tact as much as possible. I read a study about using honey on severe burns that had no skin to protect it. It looked interesting and made sense but how many of us carry honey into the field.

A lot of times doctors will give you a prescription of something to carry in your emergency kit.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    ...I know that air is painful. What I don't know is why??
    O2 and nerve endings.

Not a good mix.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I burn myself more often than I'd like, occupational hazard you know

I know exactly what you mean. I usually find myself running for the sink for some cold water or out the door to find some snow. Usually 5-10 minutes of cold is good enough.