Thread: Lapping Scope Rings???

Default Lapping Scope Rings???

What are the benefits, if any , of lapping scope rings on a hunting rifle. Thanks in advance for any info.

I've done it and not done it.... usually fewer ring marks.

On the average hunting rifle, probably not that much benefit unless your rings are pretty out of line to start with.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think it is pretty important, especially with rings such as the Leupold, Burris dovetail rings. I have the Wheeler lapping kit and have been lapping the bottom half of all rings for a couple years. More surface area on the scope also. I won't ever mount a scope again without lapping. YMMV

I agree that lapping rings such as the ones made by Leupold, Burris, etc is very important. However if you use the one piece lightweight Talley rings, lapping is almost never needed.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

If the rings are more than .01Ē out of parallel with each other, or the contact surface between tube and ring isnít in the middle of the ring, or the contact has pressure points (ring bore not truly round) is when Iíll lap. You can create new issues by lapping like now the scope wont stay put then ya got another problem to fix. With the quality of todayís machining ring lapping usually isnít needed. Just as often needed and overlooked is the base to receiver fit has a narrow a contact area in the middle that needs relived so the base is less prone to rock around.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

But that would be why we bed the bases.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    But that would be why we bed the bases.
    Yes it would but not many do, they just stick um on.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've mounted probably in excess of a couple thousand scopes. I've used rings and bases from every conceivable maker. I've never lapped a single set. It is very important to ensure that the rings are level and in alignment with each other. If all is well in those departments, then lapping is superfluous. If you are splitting hairs, or doing brain surgery or rocket science with some heavy bench gun, then maybe it'll make you think things are better. But on an average hunting rifle, totally unnecessary, in my experience. As limited as it may be.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Burris Signature Zee Rings. "Problem" solved!

One of the benefits of having a lapping kit is to tighten the front ring around the bar and turn the front base in. I do this so as not to stress the scope tube. Once I have the ring where I want, I remove the lapping bar and set the scope. I fiddle with it until I can get it where I am confident bore-sighting will get me well on-paper. Some of those front rings are tight buggers.

I have noticed on some rings there is some misalignment that is removed by lapping. It is one of those cumulative things that I at least, think is beneficial, though your mileage may vary.

Rings like Talley and Nightforce do not need this obviously.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Bases on some rifles may not be fully inline, due to loose tolerances on the surface of the receiver. The result is that the rings then are not in line. I think this is where the problem is. One piece bases take care of this problem. One solution to uneven bases is to bed them in blue Locktite, using a round bar or tube of some sort that would allow tightening of the base screws. Personally I often use Picatinny bases. Seekins Precision used to make a very nice Picatinny base with an access cutout in the middle. However they are too busy to make the "Hunter" model at this time. DNZ also makes a similar base.