Thread: Snow free hiking April 8th-15th?

Default Snow free hiking April 8th-15th?

I know there is another thread about this topic but it was about a week ago, and I'm needing something that will be for the 8th through the 15th of April. I'll be in Anchorage for that period and I'd like to get as much hiking in as I can, but I don't have any snowshoes or skiis. Does anyone know any trails that would be accessible around that time that are within an hour or two from Anchorage? I'll definitely try out Gold Mint Trail that was mentioned on the previous thread. Happy hiking!

Last weekend it snowed 10-12". Yesterday morning it was -6. Today it's in the 20's. This is Alaska, no one can be certain about the weather, but I guess there won't be any snow free trails in two weeks. Good luck.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Turnagain Arm Trail (~8 miles end to end) starting at the south end of Potter's Marsh should be good, but could be icy depending on the weather leading up to when you hike. Flattop mountain from Glen Alps is usually a good hike if you are looking for vertical. Trails heading out from the Eagle River Nature Center should be good, but not a lot in the way of views since you are in the bottom of a valley.

Most trails will be find for hiking without snowshoes, but could be either soft of icy depending on the recent weather.

Get thee to REI and pick up a pair of snowshoes. I have a pair of MSRs and love them. Previously, I avoided winter hiking because of snow and ice making the trails less enjoyable. My MSR snowshoes provide excellent traction and balance. I wear them even when the trails are packed because they grip so well and you forget you're even wearing them after just a little while. Having a pair of snowshoes will open up a ton of opportunities you might otherwise avoid.

You don't need snowshoes. I climb Mt. Baldy in Eagle River all winter long, and I never take snowshoes. If it gets particularly icy I'll use crampons, but those are not usually necessary either. There is a ton of excellent hiking to be had in the winter, and the best part is that the crowds are this because people think they need specialized gear.

That said, your best bet for nearly snow-free hiking is the aforementioned Turnagain Arm Trail or possibly the trail that heads up Rainbow Mountain if we get some warm days. That area is always the first to have dry ground exposed.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll be checking all of them out. I'm planning on renting a car, and bringing out the trail map and driving around to see what looks doable. If there's anyone out there that wants to join me on a hike or grab a brew any time during the 8-15, let me know.

Bird Ridge is another good early hike, there is always snow but usually enough people hike it to beat in a easy to walk trail.