Thread: Freshwater help

Default Freshwater help

Could you guys point me in the general direction for the fresh water trout. I'm moving to ketch in June. And It looks like the Harriet hunt lake is decent. From what I can find on the Alaska fish and game website there are a few species of trout in there. Are they stocked fish? Or native. And I don't fly fish. What are some tackle tips. I know it's light stuff. But, Spinners,jigs, live bait? I'm from the north east. So I'm used to bass and pike? New. To the trout thing

I forgot to ask. My daughter is 5. And loves to fish. She can cast just fine. However, being in the northeast I've always had the option for a simple worm and float to always catch something for her ( bass, sunfish,catfish). Is there any kid proof fishing tips for the freshwater streams and lakes up there. I noticed. They regualate bait fishing in a lot of places

Im sorry but i only know of good places to go around mat su and palmer area.

Im just looking for some of those ( kid proof). Lures or bait. For trout in lakes

Worms and a bobber almost always work for trout for me. Often times My son gets a bobber with a worm while I try other things and he always catches more than I do lol. Shrimp works pretty good too, the raw stuff not cooked. Cooked will work but I find raw shrimp works much better. Also when and where legal Salmon eggs works great for trout too. Be careful though, some lakes no bait allowed and in salmon bearing streams often cant use eggs till End of July or August.

As for lures, I like using Vibrax lures in the summer. Little pixies work pretty good too for rainbows, especially in creeks I have found.

Dont exclude Pike fishing too. If your moving to south central there are quite a few lakes with Northern Pike, and since they are invasive in South Central in most places there is no limit. Pike fishing can be a lot of fun too. For pike I love using imitation frogs and mice fishing from a canoe. Cast out as close as you can to shore, then jig it back to you imitating a mouse or frog swimming. I have found though on the first strike dont set the hook, just pause for a second then start twitching faster and shorter to make it imitate a wounded prey and %99 of the time that pike spins around and nails it hard about 3-6 seconds later. Also for you daughter you can do a bobber with a hearing bait and they will hit those too. Often times when camping we will cast out a hearing and bobber from shore in front of camp and sit around the fire and chit chat and watch for bobbing bobbers. I found when they take the hearing let them take it for a few seconds and start to swallow before setting the hook.

That was exactly wat I was looking for. Thank you