Thread: Exped Tents?

Default Exped Tents?

My main piece of gear I need to buy this spring is a new tent for sheep hunting and backpacking. Been looking hard at options and came across Exped. I haven't heard anything on the AOD regarding Exped tents so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with them. The Orion and Venus both look interesting. They are kind of a hybrid tunnel tent design and come with the canopy and fly attached together similar to a Hilleberg. Anyone seen or used one?

I'd like to know if anyone as seen or used one as well. That Orion II looks bomber. A true free standing in that even the vestibules don't require staking out. I think I considered that tent a few years back when I bought my Hilleberg. I got a heck of a deal on the Hilleberg, that may have been the only thing that swayed me. Can't remember for sure.

Once you have an exoskeleton tent where the inner and outer go up at the same time you'll never go back.

I think you should buy one, take it sheep hunting and give us a review!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The Orion looks nice. I like that the ridge pole runs all the way to the ground and holds out the vestibules. My only complaint with the Orion II is that the interior space is tight. Only 29 sf and only 49" wide. Doesn't give you much room to change clothes or jockey around. The Orion 2 weighs in at 7.6# but if you jump up to the 3 man to get some space it jumps to 9.7#. I currently have a good tent that weights in at just under 10 lbs so I'm trying to cut weight.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    My main piece of gear I need to buy this spring is a new tent for sheep hunting and backpacking. Been looking hard at options and came across Exped. I haven't heard anything on the AOD regarding Exped tents so I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with them. The Orion and Venus both look interesting. They are kind of a hybrid tunnel tent design and come with the canopy and fly attached together similar to a Hilleberg. Anyone seen or used one?

I have an Exped Polaris that I use for winter camping. It is a two person single wall tent. I like it pretty well. The attention to detail is amazing on exped tents. I have not used it much in the summer time, because I like my tepee tents for the space. I don't know about the orion or venus but I would guess they are top quality tents!

I use an Exped Venus II for sheep hunting.I really like the tent lots of room for two and the vestibules are huge.No condensation problems.I'm just under 6 ft and plenty of length. ceiling height is good but i do brush the gear attic which is a good size as well.Exped has alot of nice well thought out extras's such as colored zipper pulls the little guy out bags ect.Just the tent pole bag alone is really neat.It is well made and the floor is robust you don't need a footprint.It is exoskeleton so can be set up so the inside stays dry.The inner tent attaches to the fly easily.Never had it in a really bad storm but i have no fear lots of tie out points.It weighs 7 pounds so i only use it with two guys.I have a pic from last year not a great photo but what the heck.

Ramcam, how many stakes did the tent come with? Have you weighed your tent to compare it to the listed weight? I like the Orion because of the full length ridge pole but am concerend about the weight. I hate it when they give you a weight but only include half the stakes you need for fully guying it out. At 7.6 lbs for the Orion 2 I'd hate to then have to add additional weight for stakes and guys that weren't included.

I was wrong on the Orion 3 weight as well, it comes in at 8.2 lbs. I really want to keep my tent under 7 lbs but it's hard to find what I want in size and features and get a good weight as well.

Ok here you go.The tent in it's stuff sack weighs 5.030 pounds. The pole sack which has a repair kit and i count seventeen stakes plus 4 extra guyline's not the ones attached to the tent plus the poles weighs 1 p 12.50 oz together 6 lb 12.80 oz on my kitchen scale.There are 4 guylines not in that weight as i'm using them with my solo tent.Plenty of stakes and guylines.Cheers

AK Wonderer, are you looking for a lightweight that is specifically freestanding? Because my Hilleberg Nallo 2 is 4.8 pounds but its not free standing. However the Big Agnes Fly creek series are free standing and come in right around 3 pounds with fly. They are light but we used them in the brooks 2011 for spiking out, the fly creek 3 is the way to go for 2 person, lot of room with vestibule for cooking etc.

Last year I picked up a 2 man Terra Nova tent as my lightweight 2 man backpacking tent. I used it during one of those hellacious wind storms we had last year. It performed quite well considering the conditions, and I would recommend looking into Terra Nova as well as the other aforementioned tents.

I'm not specifically looking for a freestanding but just haven't been completely sold on the tunnel tents. I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a Nallo 3 more than once in the last year but just haven't quite been convinced. For the weight though I keep circling back to it. The Nallo 3 has great interior space and a nice big vestibule for the weight. That's actually the tent I'm comparing the Exped Orion against.

I've looked at the Terra Nova Quasar Superlite. AMH had one on sale last fall that I've kind of kicked myself for not grabbing. The Quasar Ultra or Superlite is still an option. I wish they had a little more vestibule space but you could always stack gear in one vestibule and access the tent through the other.

Kahahawai, how does the Fly Creek do in the wind. I had a Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL, old model of the Copper Spur, on my last sheep hunt and it didn't take the wind very well. Needless to say, it now needs a new fly.

In the past few years I've spent a number of nights camped in areas where you just couldn't hide from the wind and have very good memories of two occasions trying to sleep while getting rocked by 40-50mph winds. I'm now trying to find a tent that will battle the wind and not weight as much as my 9.5 lb Sierra Designs 3-4 season convertible tent.

The Big Agnes Fly creek series tents being a 3 season tent is not bad, the four of us all rolled with Fly creeks for spiking out, My partner and I rolled each with a fly creek 1 in the Brooks, we encountered some light snow but hardly any wind up there, and the tents performed well, but this was early season August so the weather was nice with light rain. My other two buddies went the opposite way where they took a Fly creek 3 to share and they had more than enough room in theirs. We never really got to put them to the test in wind. But if you want to try one out, you can try mine this summer. Personally, I would roll with a tunnel tent for for high surface winds for sure, hard to beat the Hilleberg nallo, for a 4 season tent being as light as they are.I have the nallo 2, the vestibule is smaller, than the Nallo 2 GT which is probably ideal for what you want.

I headed down to the Sportsman's show and stopped by and talked with the guys at the Barney's booth. They had 15% off Hilleberg tents so they talked me into pulling the trigger on a Nallo 3. Actually all they had to do was tell me 15% off and I quickly talked myself into it. Probably didn't help that I ran into Kahahawai earlier in the day and he's talked pretty well about his Hilleberg. I've been looking at them for a while but had never quite been convinced about the tunnel tent. Guess if I try it and don't like it I'll probably still be able to sell it for what I paid. I'd still like to check out the Exped Orion sometime but we'll give the Nallo a run for now.

I think you made a good choice Shane. I've spent some time inside a Nallo, and while I prefer free standing tents, the Nallo performed great in some pretty tough conditions that I experienced. Hilleberg quality is second to none, I think you made a good choice.

About that Superlite Quasar that AMH had on sale last fall, did it happen to look like this? It was such a good price I couldn't resist.

Great picture. That was definitely a good buy. Looks even better on the side of a mountain than it did on the showroom floor.

Yep, you won't go wrong, just don't set it up sideways to 70 mph winds like I did...either way there warranty program is awesome.