Thread: shot placement on a big brown bear over bait

Default shot placement on a big brown bear over bait

One of the nice things about baiting is being able to set up so that it positions the animal. Typically when I bait it is in a very dense heavily wooded area with a lot of down dead wood. I have had blacks run after being shot in the heart lung area and then find them under trees and such. I am thinking if a brown ran off and you had to track him the intensity would be pretty great. To avoid that as much as possible would you position the bait so that he would lay down to eat and shoot him through the center of the back between the shoulders to break the spine, or neck shot or regular heart lung. The rifle will be a large caliber 416 and range short 15-25 yards so shot placement would be easy. Im thinking I as much as possible want dead right there. What are your thoughts.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Right down between the shouders, taking out the spine. I've done it, they don't go anywhere!!!!!

I think, given all that you have stated, I would concentrate on a CNS shot with such ideal conditions. Sitting over bait certainly allows for ample opportunity to choose the "perfect" shot angle at near point blank range.

I've been debating this very thing, I'll be using a .375 H&H. From a tree stand at 20 yrd I assume a between the shoulder/spine shot would probably take out the opposite shoulder as well. Would that drop them? I'll also have a back up shooter in the tree with me who could aim for the closer shoulder. Thoughts???

Hmmm me it would depend on how high and stand position. Although I agree they would drop with a straight down through the spine shot there is also a high risk of missing the spine then you will be having some fun.. Things happen when you have a huge bear at that close of range and nerves get rattled.. Me I would go for the low risk high success quartering taking out a lot of stuff on the way. If quartering away you can get double lung and big bone all in on shot and more then likely it will drop him and keep him down long enough to pump a second in,and even if he ran off there is no worries cause he will be dead from the double lung shot.. There is also the less glamorous Texas heart shot right up the bung taking out the hips and a hole lot of stuff and I have seen any bear make it any where when shot like that with my 416... As always my opinion of course

The stand will be about 16' up at 20 yards. I was thinking about trying a quarter toward shot, one at the front shoulder which should also take the heart/lung and a second shot to the spine which I hoped would also take the back shoulder. Does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    One of the nice things about baiting is being able to set up so that it positions the animal. Typically when I bait it is in a very dense heavily wooded area with a lot of down dead wood. I have had blacks run after being shot in the heart lung area and then find them under trees and such. I am thinking if a brown ran off and you had to track him the intensity would be pretty great. To avoid that as much as possible would you position the bait so that he would lay down to eat and shoot him through the center of the back between the shoulders to break the spine, or neck shot or regular heart lung. The rifle will be a large caliber 416 and range short 15-25 yards so shot placement would be easy. Im thinking I as much as possible want dead right there. What are your thoughts.
    Using that big of a slug, I think I'd wait for him to position himself for that quartering, little higher, take out both shoulder shot, with a good chance and taking out the spine as well. At that range that 416 could easily do it. That way, even if you don't spine him, he'll still have two broken shoulders and punctured lungs....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

LOL...must be the winter time blues....shot placement on a large brown bear at 20 yards...come on fellows..and with a 416!! lungs, spine, head, neck, shoulders...does it really matter at that point? Yes it does..but if you hit him in either of those spots with a anything larger than a 270 at that close of range he aint going far...and the fact that the bullet is going to come out low and provide one heck of a blood trail is another bonus verses a side double lung or the chance of it lodging in the opposite shoulder..Your good blackbear...I would worry more about getting all that meat out and deciding on how to do that..or getting one to come in...

Obviously all of us have hunted for years and have allot of experience in taking game..but some of these post are just funny...You know what the etihical shot placement is..just do it
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

i always go with a neck shot on baited bears. you dont have to worry about damaging the skull and they usually just drop, plus at 50 yards or less its a pretty easy shot

I have played it over in my mind a lot and don't think I will be nervous I've had too many encounters at my bait with thm for that. I just know I have no desire to do a tracking job. I will if I have to but prefer not.