Thread: Gulkana via Dickey Lake

Default Gulkana via Dickey Lake

Done Paxon to sourdough more times than I care to remember, so thinking about changing things up this year... maybe next? Who knows.

Most likely trying to avoid all the random portages and just get a flight in from Glennallen to Dickey with the 16' cat and gear, leave the truck at sourdough like normal.

Anywho, I've seen a couple posts about it, but no real details. How is the water in the upper middle fork? Any rock gardens to worry about? I hear tell of a little canyon up there and they talked about portage or roping? but of course people talking about portaging the main canyon and that's no big deal in a cat....

So if you guys have any stories... flight recommendations... river reports... fishin reports... caribou/bear/moose sightings? Lemme know what's up that middle fork. I know I've seen plenty of grayling headed up that way.

Lots of traffic crossing it in the fall Tier II hunters etc....., lots of rocks to avoid in the summer with boat dragging during low water, plan on having some logs to cut through or jams in certain location once you get below a creek that will not be named. Take the time to walk back to Swede Creek neat place to explore. plan on a min of 7 days to do it with fishing and a reasonable pace. If you decide to do it in Mid to Late August Bears are more frequent to see along the river in certain sections "spawning salmon.

If you are going to book a flight into Dickey you best do it know becuase the gent who does it gets booked failry quick. Copper Valley Air Service - 1-866-570-4200.

RMM
    BMR

Did it last year in packrafts in July. Hiked in from Upper Tangles. The first 10 or so miles out of Dickey were fun and rocky. You would be hung up non-stop in a cataraft. After the trail crosses the river it slows to a crawl and there are 2-3 Large log jams in the next 20 or so miles until you hit the fork where you probably are familiar with the slow water. Slow water and log jams aside you will be alone on the river after the Swede lake trail crossing, fishing is good and peace will be found.

So maybe bring the nine foot cat....

Just between you me and the fence I would not do the standard 9ft Cat not even the Outcast. I would however use a something like a 9.5 Self Baling Tributary or even a bucket boat aka 9.5 Trib. Capacity 800 lbs give or take a few lbs. If you go in light wish to be able toss the boat here there because of low water and still have your cake and eat it tooooooooooo. Neat little boat. Toss a mini frame i.e. seat, foot bar and a nice set of oars and your in the mix. Sure you could use a 9ft Cat it is just that I have picked many of pieces up from them over the years with the oars being the number one issue.

RMM

My 9' cat has full 1 7/8" poly wrapped aluminum oars, just like the carsliles, and full hypalon tubes. It's been down the gulkana before, run the canyon no problem, bounces off every rock in the lower section no issue.

Not one of those nylon "catafloattubes"

Sounds like a plan then! A real 9ft Cataraft.

cat.jpg

Parks anywhere! This is right after the doldrums in the big rock garden.
    Attached Images Attached Images