Thread: Kenai in aug

Default Kenai in aug

Don't have regs handy but does anyone have dippin experience on the kenai in early aug? My work schedule I'll miss the mid July push but still need some fish....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I think it shuts down on July 31st.

Yup closes July 31st.
    The Kasilof is open until August 5th I believe.
    Or you could just bring a rod and reel should be 6 a day by then.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

You guys think I could run a prop down the kasilof from the bridge, I've been down it once and I thought you could if you had a clue....
    Master guide 212

Shouldn't be a problem the river runs pretty high by that time of year but you could launch at coho Cove campground it would save you a bit of a run down river. And it would put you past the rocky area just below the bridge.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem the river runs pretty high by that time of year but you could launch at coho Cove campground it would save you a bit of a run down river. And it would put you past the rocky area just below the bridge.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    I believe Coho Cove closed last year to launching boats and camping. Not sure exactly why but it does have new owners so I heard.
    I wouldn't run that section of river at any time with a prop but thats just me. I have only run it with a driftboat. Been down it a few times when even a driftboat was just barely shallow enough to make it across the gravel bars.
    I just wouldn't trust my boat to it. It also depends a lot on what the boat is and how good the operator is.
    My opinion is it is worth a try but do so at your own risk and bring a spare prop or two.

I didn't realize you could run a power boat on that river?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I didn't realize you could run a power boat on that river?
    You can't.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Can't you run one for the personal use fishery, just not sport fishing!?
    Master guide 212

Sportfishing from a motorized boat is not allowed. So you can run a motorboat just cannot sportfish from it.
    You can have a 10 hp or less and use it downstream of Truijillios to exit the fishery after sportfishing.
    Page 41 of the southcentral regulations.
    You can run one down and dipnet from it but do so at your own risk. Lots of rocks and gravel bars in the lower kasilof.
    Most people launch smaller boats from the beach.

My recommendation is to skip Kenai and fish the copper dipnet fishery instead. More consistent fishing, more fun, better scenery, less crowded, and best of all you don't have to listen to all the Kenai river folks whine about everyone who comes down to catch "their" fish.

I have four little kids and we try to do stuff as a family. Dippin outa a boat on the kenai is about the right speed for them. But I've never been over on the copper.
    Master guide 212

The copper is a fast and dangerous river, nothing at all like the Kenai.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Jake,

The copper is indeed a fast dangerous river and I do not recommend it if bringing along young kids. It is a great Alaskan experience but I would recommend not taking any kids younger than about 13 or so. If you do go with the whole family there are some great opportunities for a memorable camping trip and keeping the kids away from the river while you and the older kids are able to tackle the dipping.

zero margin for error...

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    My recommendation is to skip Kenai and fish the copper dipnet fishery instead. More consistent fishing, more fun, better scenery, less crowded, and best of all you don't have to listen to all the Kenai river folks whine about everyone who comes down to catch "their" fish.
    Most of us don't whine when you take fish, only when you do a lame job of filleting them and leave half the meat in a pile of rotting carcasses on OUR beach for our kids to pick up and our dogs to roll in.

Sorry, I couldn't resist
    Attached Images Attached Images

Unhappy that picture shows a really sad excuse for fish processing, a.k.a. waste + litter

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Most of us don't whine when you take fish, only when you do a lame job of filleting them and leave half the meat in a pile of rotting carcasses on OUR beach for our kids to pick up and our dogs to roll in.
    I usually ignore sensationalistic pictures/stuff but I just have to say that I do not know any dipnetter that would not be appalled at that picture you posted. There has to be like 200# of actual salmon meat right there tossed out, and also clearly tossed out in a way that is littering not disposing.

What's really sad (yes sadder than that one family/group doing that "beach filleting") is that probably 300 people saw what he was doing.... and (sorry to suppose here but...) very likely did nothing.

I (and I know others too) have publicly here on this forum tossed about ideas on how to increase peer pressure towards more ethical (and sustainable) behaviors on the dipnet-beach, but so far they all get shot down. Too much intrusion into an Alaskan's rights, too much $$$, what have you...

I'll take part in a positive, constructive-oriented approach to how to lessen dipnetting's impact on the habitat. On the flip side I quickly tire of anti-dipnetters coming here to the dipnetting forum merely to disparage the activities of all 30,000+ Alaskan resident families that participate in dipnetting.

Anyone know what that # equates to, in percentage of all Alaskans that live on the road system (which is a requirement of circumstances to dipnet, pretty much)?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    On the flip side I quickly tire of anti-dipnetters coming here to the dipnetting forum merely to disparage the activities of all 30,000+ Alaskan resident families that participate )?
    I grow tired of all the entitlement rights and attitudes that float around here.. Ya know... I am a guide they are my fish, I am commercial I was here first and they are my fish, I am a Kenai resident, I am subsistence they are mine. I work in oil I don't need tourist money... Blah blah blah. We are all or most here ALASKANS... We all have a right to the responsible use of our natural resources.. No one user group has any more rights then another.. Any money within reason of course that is brought in to the state is good for Alaska. Until we get our heads out of our collective arses and quit bickering amongst ourselves nothing will change and all ALASKANS will lose in the end and that will be sad for my kids..bAnd for the record I am in no way pointing to any one group or person here... I for many years lived within walking distance to the mouth of the Kenai, I was a Kenai river guide, a salt water guide, a hunting guide, I work for and have family in oil, work with commercial fishermen including an ESSN that was the best man at my wedding... I am a little mad at the dip netters cause I used to be able to catch the crap out of reds on the beach with my pole before they all showed up...lol. A slob is a slob and there are slobs in every user group and they gotta go... Sorry for the rant I shall bow out of this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    A slob is a slob and there are slobs in every user group and they gotta go... Sorry for the rant I shall bow out of this one...
    There are slobs within every group, including dipnetters. And including those people in all religious and cultural sects. (I think I just called a portion of Everyone a slob). Its not unlike saying that some days are sunny or some days are rainy, and just as useful.

Thanks for a great example of the exact argument that I tire of so quickly. And btw, they are our fish. All of ours'.