Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teach me to cure roe

Default Teach me to cure roe

Anyone have a killer recipe? I've never cured and I would rather not spend the $$ this summer that that I did last. I heard of something like "20 muleteam"? Does it work well?

Probably the easiest way to make an effective batch of roe is to go to Wal-mart and buy some "Pro-cure" and simply follow the instructions. It is easy and makes a good, quality batch of eggs. There are lots of home recipies out there (Borax, brown sugar, salt, jello, etc...) but for ease of use and quality, Pro-cure is hard to beat.

"20-Muleteam" is Borax and works OK. I've used it for years, but have since found better curing methods.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up

Ditto the above except use natural Pro Cure. The colored stuff is murder on your hands.

Default Roe

Thanks. natural pro cure. I'll check it out.

I agree with the guys above that procure is the best and easiest to use. I like the red hott fire color. It's bright red and really makes the eggs nice. Just my personal opinion

Talking

Is this a joke????

Kenaiking
    Why do you ask?

If you are targeting Rainbows or Silvers, put a bunch of Cherry Kool-Aid in the mix. It puts off a good amount of scent, that they like. Not so effective on other species, for whatever reason. Doesn't hurt, but doesn't help for Kings.

I preffer a salt and sugar mix of 1:1. Cut into desirable chunks and lay them on a piece of plywood. Liberally cover the roe wit the mix and let sit for one day. Flip the next day and repeat. This will cure them into firm chunks and will soften up once in the water for a few minutes but I can leave them in the boat for a few months without the roe going bad. If you want softer chunks right off the bat apply mixture let them sit half a day, then flip, cover with mixture, and let sit for the remander of the day.

Works like a charm.

Default ????

I had to double check to make sure I was on the right forum...roe curing on the fly fishing forum??? hmmm......

Kenai, Florida-dude,
    Was thinking the same thing. How is it that you can cast roe with a fly and isn't that just wrong???

Not being a snob but this belongs on the "NOT FLYFISHING" site.

My best cure is 6mm beads with spray paint and begged 1.5" above a hook that has black thread wrapped into a "black maggot" for legal reasons.....

George

Bait on a flyfishing forum... Can't someone place this thread where it belongs? I would be used much more by those who use bait if it was on the correct forum and not this one where folks who drop bait don't visit too often...

Dont read the thread if you dont like it. Some people are unreal.

Default ....you're right!...

...don't read it if you don't want to....know any good spots to dig worms?

FF
    Nice one. Unreal

Default Now this is just comical..

I realized right after I posted this that I put it in the wrong thread. I thought I was never going to hear the end of it with the "fly-fishing etiquette" out there. Now, I am checking once a day to get a good laugh in before work!

Just thought it was funny to have it in the fly forum. Im sure it ruffled a few feathers

Talking

Kub Air
    One more mistake like that and the Orvis police will be after you. LOL

Tony

Default a little humor is good for all of us...

Glad we all see the humor in this...like none of us has never used roe, yeah right! That's the neat thing about fishing...."its all good!" btw I too confess to using ProCure.... but I didn't inhale it!

Come on, you guys have never overhead casted a gob of roe with a fly rod? And you call yourselfs fisherman.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast