Thread: How to get a boat

Default How to get a boat

I tried searching for boat dealers in ketchikan, Craigslist, alaskaslist. But a lot of the boats I find are up north (Juneau, anchorage)
    how would I go about having something like that shipped. Or would I have to take a ferry and trailer it home.

I beleive it can be put on a ferry so long as there is arrangements for someone to trailer it on and than off. We did this a few years ago fro Bellingham to Sitka.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Put it on Alaska Marine Highways. I had a boat shipped up from Seattle to Juneau. Have the seller drop it off at the barge, and someone pick it up for you in Ketchikan.

I live in Juneau. Since you are looking into buying a boat when you get serious put a posting on craigslist for a WTB a boat, list what you are looking for and price range. Often you will get people offering boats that aren't for sale. And shipping to Ketchikan is affordable. From Seattle to Juneau it is $95 a foot. It is much less to Ketchikan. But motivated people will also pay for the shipping on either the ferry or barge.

Sobie2

Yup, Ketchikan shoud be a snap, ferry from Seattle won't be bad, and Craigslist in Ketchikan isn't as active as it is in Juneau (it's for all of SE and Juneau kinda commandeers most postings). Likely word of mouth when you get there will work very well. Good luck, and enjoy, Ketchikan is distinct, unique, sometimes odd......but overall nice.

Thanks guys. This forum is really helpin with this transfer. I've been doin. TONS. Of research on the fishing regs. And seasons, and what's up there and how to catch it. I'm really just looking for something small to fish some lakes in the area with the kids. And save the big water for a charter trip.

I have a 17' Whaler I am trying to sell. It be a great boat in SE. Not as much here....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in Petersburg. I brought my boat up on Linden. After researching the ferry and AML I found them to be a bit cheaper.

A few years ago I looked into using the ferry to get a boat from Seattle. They were booked up many months in advance and this was in the fall. Ended up shipping with Lyden and they did a good job and the cost was a little higher but the hassle was ZERO.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.