Thread: 162 gr. loads for 7mm Rem. Mag

Default 162 gr. loads for 7mm Rem. Mag

I got a few boxes of 162 gr. Hornady Interlocks in 7mm. I have loaded for the 7 mag for several years using 140 gr bullets but have not used these heaver bullets. This load will be used for deer only. What powder have you had good success with using this bullet? Range will be no more than 200 yards and most likely around 75 to 100 yards. I have had these bullets put up for several years and decided now is the time to put them to use.

Well, that's a lot of cartridge for 75/100 yds on deer. I like IMR4831 for most of the 7mmMag loads but there are other powders that will work as well. Stay away from shoulder shots and stick with heart/lung shots as it will seriously tear up some meat. I used primarily the Sierra 160gr but there's not a lot of difference. 4831 usually shows best accuracy near the top end loads but always work up.

I loaded the 162 Gr A Max with H 870 max load under .7" groups at 100 yards 2950 FPS 24 " barrel 7 MM Rem Mag. Tried RL 22 with not muck luck in my rifle H 870 has been the best powder in my rifle with 160 gr -175 gr bullets in accuracy and chrono speed. Spent one fall with various powders to figure that out. Loads vary quite a bit with the 7 Rem Mag between rifles.

RL-19 Works well.