Thread: New in Trapper Creek area

Default New in Trapper Creek area

I've sold my cabin and land down in the Kenai near Soldoltna and just bought a new property near Trapper Creek. I've never stayed the winter before. I've only summered up here going on 20 summers in a row.

I now plan to live year-round on the new place. It's about 3/4 mile in off the Parks Hwy on a gravel road that's more or less maintained year round. The couple of folks I've talked to say that it can go unplowed for 2 - 3 days after a big storm though. I'm a little concerned about not being able to get out after a big snow and am planning to leave a vehicle near the road and snowmobile in and out. Am I asking for mischief? I suppose so.

Also, I'm wondering just what kind of changes to expect as a year-round resident?

I will throw a few things out there...

Welcome to Trapper Creek for one....got a cabin up there myself and we love spending time there throughout the year..winters can be harsh..but doable. You can expect to receive around 5-6ft of snow on average. I have seen up to 18 inchs dropped overnight. A four wheeler or snow blower hand held will do the job. If you are going to be out of the net for awhile, you might have to open things back up..but depending on how long the driveway is and how difficult the road is to snow blow or plow..will depend on driving in or not. If you stay with it and keep it snow free from the beginning..no issues.

If you can see your car from the cabin probably not going to be an issue..but if you cant, I would not leave it alone. Also depends on where in Trapper Creek you are.

There are some good neighbors up there and some that care more than others.... I will leave it at that.

There are a TON of trails for all kinds of ATV use..so expect to see traffic in the summer months and winters for that matter. Pettersville road is the main lifeline to the back 40 if you will and is extremely busy year round..but more so in the summer months.

Good luck and enjoy the solitude.'

Quote Originally Posted by R Walter View Post
    I've sold my cabin and land down in the Kenai near Soldoltna and just bought a new property near Trapper Creek. I've never stayed the winter before. I've only summered up here going on 20 summers in a row.

I now plan to live year-round on the new place. It's about 3/4 mile in off the Parks Hwy on a gravel road that's more or less maintained year round. The couple of folks I've talked to say that it can go unplowed for 2 - 3 days after a big storm though. I'm a little concerned about not being able to get out after a big snow and am planning to leave a vehicle near the road and snowmobile in and out. Am I asking for mischief? I suppose so.

Also, I'm wondering just what kind of changes to expect as a year-round resident?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I own the local hardware store down near the Talkeetna Junction, welcome to the neighborhood. Road service (plowing) around here is pretty good. I've yet to go more than 24 hours before being plowed out. It hasn't snowed enough in one snowfall in recent memory (I've been here 32 years) that I couldn't get out in a 4wd pickup. I can count on one had how many times in the last 10 years my wifes front wheel drive mini-van has been stranded. Parking a rig at the end of the road can be problematic as it gets in the way of snow removal equipment.

I don't know what kind of changes you mean? Trapper Creek stays pretty quiet year round. Talkeetna gets a huge influx of seasonal workers due to it's big tourist industry that Trapper Creek does not get. Spring is just around the corner and the roads will be a mess for a couple weeks.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We have a cabin west of the highway a few miles north of Trapper Creek. To get to our cabin, we park in a parking lot at the trailhead that is maintained by the borough. Sometimes it isn't plowed for a week after one or more major snowfalls. We've always managed to make it in pulling a trailer with snowmachines but sometimes just barely. If I were you, I'd make sure I had a 4wd vehicle with some ground clearance, a set of chains, and I'd park at the cabin. If it gets plowed 2-3 days after a snow you should be fine with that setup.

Thanks for the replies. I'm driving up from New Mexico, leaving on May 5, with a bunch of my things towing a 30ft enclosed trailer. I put all my stuff from Soldoltna in storage several months ago after I sold my place, so I'll have to get that sorted out too. And the rest of my thingss from a lifetime of accumulation that I won't sell soon are being put into mini-storage here. I think I got my move all figured out. I am going to bring my Kubota tractor with me and am looking around for a plow for it. That'll put my worries to rest about getting in and out after a heavy snowfall.

I'm also going to initially end up with two Dodge diesel pickups up there. I hate to part with either one, but I'm probably best advised to swap one out for a gasser. Thoughts on running a diesel pickup over the winter???

I have a Chevy Duramax and it does just fine. You'll want to make sure you have a block heater though - I keep my truck plugged in below 10 degrees. There are lots of diesel trucks up here. If you don't have a block heater yet, pretty much any shop can install one for you. If you anticipate living without electricity for any length of time in the winter, you probably are better off with a gas rig. There are kits for diesels that use a small amount of fuel to keep the engine warm - that negates the need for a block heater. Those kits are pretty spendy though. Best of luck on the move!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

There is also a storage unit place just down the road from Doug's hardware store "Sunshine Storage"
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!