Thread: Forums Banner Photo

Thumbs up Forums Banner Photo

Very nice northern lights FORUMS pic! What a colorful change of scenery. Was it submitted by a member?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Im still seeing the Ram..

Am I the only one that can see the new northern lights pic at the top of the page?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Im still seeing the Ram..
    have to refresh the page

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Am I the only one that can see the new northern lights pic at the top of the page?
    nope....I refreshed my page after seeing your post and yeas its very cool..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    have to refresh the page
    Sometimes browsers even need a shift-refresh, so they know to get new files/info from the remote server instead of using what they've already cached locally there on your computer. Browsers try to reuse data as long as they can before refreshing so they appear to be faster than their competition - in reality they accomplish this by showing you old news.

I too am a fan of the new pic for the reasons already stated, plus because its smaller, I now see more AOD on my screen and less banner pic. The difference is not unlike if I had run out and bought a slightly larger monitor. Sorry, that's geek-speak for Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Sometimes browsers even need a shift-refresh, so they know to get new files/info from the remote server instead of using what they've already cached locally there on your computer. Browsers try to reuse data as long as they can before refreshing so they appear to be faster than their competition - in reality they accomplish this by showing you old news.

I too am a fan of the new pic for the reasons already stated, plus because its smaller, I now see more AOD on my screen and less banner pic. The difference is not unlike if I had run out and bought a slightly larger monitor. Sorry, that's geek-speak for Thank You.
    FM I will bow to your knowledge on this one...I can build you a house but couldnt fix your computer....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post

Nope.. (add 10 more characters) I think it's very nice..!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    FM I will bow to your knowledge on this one...I can build you a house but couldnt fix your computer....LOL
    Ha! I had to laugh. Ironically I too can build a house; I've built a few (well over a few dozen), but I can't always fix my own computer! I rely on the Geek Squad down at Best Buy to keep my computers goin'. Now they're good.

Wow! That's a real nice photo of the Auroras.

Default opacity

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Wow! That's a real nice photo of the Auroras.
    They sure are, both on the forums and home page. There are eight more astounding ones after those two; its worth cycling through each one of the main menu items of this site even if merely to see this new photography. I have to ask... is it pure coincidence that Marketing's home page got the (supposedly) cleverest animal?

Regarding the photo-processing, look at the additions to the original photography (what's that called? branding?). I would imagine the branding is on different layer(s) in photoshop, but in the end result I'd guess that the Home page's branding is 100% opaque and the remaining nine or more like 40-50% opaque. I know I prefer the final result when the branding is way less than 100% opaque, but possibly that's just me.

The one on the Forums home page is probably my favorite, since in addition to the stunning picture overall, it just keeps drawing my eyes back to the place where the Aurora is shining done into the night time river and then back up through the branding to the viewer - the spot is right at the "J" in "Junction". Anyone else drawn to that one point on that picture?

I was rereading for spelling and I now wonder if not only is that spot is common to focus on, but if was done on purpose to call more attention TO the branding? That sure would seem like a photographic-genius sort of thing to create.

All ten are stunning. x10

Glad you folks like the banners; we try to update them quarterly, just to keep things fresh and to showcase the amazing work of some of our photographers. All of them were taken by members of our forum community, who either do this professionally or as a sideline. The credit this time goes as follows:

HOME: Sam Amato
    STORE: Tracey Harmon
    FORUMS: Sam Amato
    PUBLICATIONS: Cory Kittle
    DIRECTORY: Cecil Sanders
    REGIONS: Sam Amato
    ACTIVITIES: Tracey Harmon
    GEAR: Tracey Harmon
    ALASKA AT A GLANCE: Tracey Harmon
    ABOUT US: Tracey Harmon
    MARKETING: Tracey Harmon

All of these guys have artwork for sale, so be sure to stop by and give their stuff a look. If any of you are interested in submitting work for our site, by all means contact me and we can discuss this. We're always looking for talent. We provide exposure to these artists on the Our Photographers page on the site, which links out to their FaceBook pages, websites, email addresses and so on. Check them out!

And as much as I'd like to take credit for the design elements of the banners, there's not a whole lot of cleverness involved on my part. I usually set the opacity of the colored bars at the top and bottom of them to what looks good to me, but I'm no trained artist, to be sure.

Sorry for not getting on this sooner; I have been tied up with our booth and the seminars at the Great Alaska Sportsman Show the last few days... but credit where credit is due. These guys do excellent work, certainly worthy of some wall space in your home or office.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Professional opinion - Great Photos. Poor web design.

For example: With my laptop resolution set at 1366x768, the banner image takes up approximately 60% of the viewable space of my screen. I have to scroll through over 2 1/2 screens of static content (banner, headers and stickies) to get to the new content. Do whatever you want, but large banners and lots of extra scrolling is generally considered poor design. At least there's no music
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Hmmm...the banner looks quite nice on my 13" macBook Pro at 1280x800. What I don't like about this forum is the software used. I prefer one like the former software, or one like this one that has dark/light blues, with the lightest color (almost white) on the text or post box:
    http://www.city-data.com/forum/

The same software is used at a lot of forums.

Thanks for using my pictures Mike, guys on the Northern light pictures the color on my mac that Mike posted is dead on. Of course I like to see my shots in use but I also think that the change up on here keeps the site fresh and looks good. This was a fantastic year for the lights and I hope you all caught them. Last night they were weak but tonight is another night and opportunity to catch them.

Stunning capture of the northern lights 375. Very very nicely done sir.