Thread: Ice Cut?

Wink Ice Cut?

Any one out there know the mile marker# for the Ice Cut off the haul road? Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I believe it is at mile post 324.

Contender is correct. Approx 12 miles north of Pump Station 3

What is the "ice cut off" ?

Default Ice cut

It is a section of the road on the Dalton Highway called the Ice Cut roughly 400 miles north of Fairbanks. It is not a "cut off", as the wording may seem. The Ice Cut is a place on the Dalton that was cut through an ice shelf when they cut the road through there. It is a notorious steep and dangerous area. So is most of the Dalton. This is also where I have seen a lot of the Muskox I've seen up there. I've seen them as far south as Galbreath Lake and all the way nearly to Deadhorse, but most are in that area of the Ice Cut.

One of the things worth stopping to check out is some of the pingo fields around there and north near Sukapak Mountain.

There are a number of places on the Dalton where it is very deceiving. Gobblers Knob, the Beaver Slide, the Ice Cut, and of course, Atigun pass. All have steep approaches and sharp turns that are steeper and sharper that you realize, and going too fast or careless through these areas can get you in a heap of hurt real quick. Any of these areas can cause you real grief if you aren't paying attention to conditions and the road.

One of the most notiourous sections of that trip is really not too far north of Fox on the Elliott Highway. It is at Washington Creek. That turn is very steep and sharp but doesn't look like it until you are in the middle of it. This section of road is a magnet for crashes. Be careful going through there.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

The ice cut has been tamed down since it was first cut into the hillside. When we were building the pipeline it was a considerably steeper grade and was in fact the steepest grade on the road. Alyeska kept a Caterpillar 16 motor grader part way up and as the trucks went past heading north they would pull out with the grader and push the truck up and over the hill.

Wink Thanks

Thanks guys I'ts always interesting to hear a bit of history by those who know !Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30