Thread: Wanting to get into competitive shooting...

Question Wanting to get into competitive shooting...

IPSC style shoots look like a lot of fun and I'm wondering if there are people on here that are into it? I would like to start as a recreational shooter of sorts and work towards competitions. Looking at getting a Glock 34 for this style of shooting.

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    IPSC style shoots look like a lot of fun and I'm wondering if there are people on here that are into it? I would like to start as a recreational shooter of sorts and work towards competitions. Looking at getting a Glock 34 for this style of shooting.

AZinAK
    There are "shoots" out in Birchwood and it's usually on Sundays. Hopefully you live in the ANC- Wasilla area of the state. You can go to Birchwood's website and see their shoot schedules.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

There's stuff like that goin on over at the Mat Valley Sportsman range at Palmer.

Check'em out.

http://www.mvsrange.com/

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks for the replies. I will check into these. Looking into building a G34 for this type of shooting. Should be fun.

AZinAK

I used to shoot that style of shooting at the indoor range at Fairbanks and at the range Birchwood. Classifier matches are held early in the year. You can use a G34 for IPSC/USPSA and the Glock matches, if they are held up there. I use a G34 in Glock matches but I think it's only legal in Open Master division. I out shot Gunny at Atlanta last year with mine. (so did almost every body there) That is a fun and easy match to get started with if you can get a range in Alaska to sponsor one of their matches. They use the D-1 target, the same as Bianchi Cup matches, and the Bianchi plate rack. IDPA matches used to be held at ANC when I was there, if that sort appeals to you.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Awesome info Murphy. Thanks. Really appreciate it. Need to get a pistol setup so I can start shooting!

AZinAK

Well I have my G34 retuned with new sights and a different approach to trigger improvement. My biggest gripe with the triggers on a glock is that huge jump of over travel after the sear releases the striker. I've come up with a useful and simple system to install a trigger stop in the trigger block, actually the ejector block. This is that triangular piece that is stuffed in the back of the frame and held with that rear pin. It has the ejector mounted and the drop safety notch as part of it. The cruciform of the trigger bar has the left side tab that slides down out of the drop safety notch when the trigger is pulled. I drilled and tapped a hole for a 3/32" screw (#4) and installed a small allen head screw. This hole is centered at the back of the safety notch and provides a resting place for the back of the trigger bar. The natural friction of the plastic trigger block works to hold the screw once it is installed but a drop of Lock-Tite #242 will insure a solid hold. Just screw the screw in until the trigger bar just drops from the notch. (This vertical drop of the port side cruciform will release the sear tab on the striker) Once the sear releases we want no more trigger movement, this will almost always steer the gun off target and only the utmost in follow through can keep the shot centered. It also allows much quicker A-zone shooting rather than fast C-zone shots. I have boosted my own hit factor and several other Glock shooters who were high master with a 1911 but sucked sea water with the Glock.

Also this season I've added a set of 10-8 Performance sights with a .140" wide by .125" deep, U shaped, rear notch and a .235" high by .125" wide front this gives me POA/POI with the G34 at about 20 yards and less than 1/2" off from 0 to 35 yards. My front has a .050" brass bead in the front post, positioned to rest in the U shaped bottom. The sights are very fast, almost as fast as the trigger. 10-8 offers wider .156" and narrower .125" notch widths and different height fronts with brass, white or tritium inserts or solid black. Front and rear are serrated at 40 LPI and mellonite treated to match the slide. This is as good as it gets for a Glock pistol for match work. Other than those modes its just internal polishing and such to smooth things up. There are three springs in the Glock that affect trigger pull. The trigger spring, stronger is lighter pull, the striker spring, lighter gives lighter pull and the firing pin safety spring, which is cammed down by the trigger bar tab when the trigger is pressed. A lighter spring here gives a lighter pull. Wolff has all these springs if you would want to further lighten trigger pull. The G34 now comes with the 4.5# connector and 3.5# connectors are available also. I find the biggest improvement to my trigger has been this trigger stop.

Good luck with your matches and your G34.
    Last edited by Murphy; 04-23-2013 at 12:41.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I used to shoot out there at MVS. Great group of folks, and lots of fun. Wish I would have never stopped. But soon I should be back. Used my .45 XD service.