Thread: Spotting Scope Protection (weight reduction)

Default Spotting Scope Protection (weight reduction)

For all you fellas with nice spotting scopes, what do you do for protection on a sheep hunt? Do you use the case/cover that comes with the spotting scope or create some type of custom cover/bag? I've got a Nikon Fieldscope and the factory case is nice, but bulky and the end covers hang and flap in the wind. The scope body doesn't really need any protection but I do want to keep the lenses protected. Looking for some ideas to ditch the factory case but still be able to protect the lenses.

My wife made me this cover out of some old neoprene waders about 15 years ago, it just stretches over my spotting scope, keeps it protected and dry, also very lite weight!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

That's exactly the idea I was looking for! I also have the same tripod......

cant find the exact one but this is similar.... has the velcro to keep the case out of the way when folded down to use...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/kowa-wat...ng-scopes.html

the neoprene looks very nice but an alternative to the less crafty would be a 4" strip of tire inner tube stretched from end to end

A buddy of mine uses a thicker boot sock and added a small cord through the open end, worked great!

Bubble wrap rubber band, no kidding. Take it off when scope comes out of the pack.

In the past I've also used a sock, minus the cord at the end. Worked fine. And I had an extra sock if I lost one or got it wet.

Lately I've forgone a scope cover all together and just use a couple of rubber bands to hold the lens covers in place.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I have one of these for my Leica and it works fantastic! http://www.opticsplanet.com/snug-fit...ica-77-mm.html
    I got mine on sale at Sportsmans. It's light, waterproof, scratchproof, etc. On my older Leica I cut a piece of motor cycle tube and it worked pretty good..but I like this new style because it has end caps and works like a charm.