Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bear hunt with a 12 gauge ?

Default bear hunt with a 12 gauge ?

what your thought on big game hunting with a mosberg 12g ?
    i cant afford a new hunting riffle this year. so i am thinking of hunting with 3in slugs with my 12 gauge.
    has anyone on here done this?

I wouldnt do it close range maybe but I wouldnt take the chance. You should try and borrow a high powered rifle from a friend or family member.

Like over a bait station? 1 oz of lead coming out as a slug is a deadly weapon. If you can accurately aim it, I see no reason why it wouldn't be effective.

yeah..probably not the norm up here in AK..but in many Eastern States it is common practice...sure on a black bear it would be fine...rifled barrel and sights would be appropriate and work well under 50 yards.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Spend some time shooting the sabot slug you want to hunt with from a rifled slug barrel and you should be able to comfortably shoot out to 100 yards.

If you have a 500 and don't have a barrel, you should be able to get a catilevered barrel online with out too much fuss for around $100.

A slug withing the appropriate range will drop probably just about anything. That is a huge piece of lead and it moves not much slower than a regular rifle round. I would go for it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

437.5 grn at 1500 fps=2185.31 lbs of energy. Also have to consider the size of the hole going in. Under 100 yds I don't think you would have an issue with any animal.

ya i got this black magic magnum slugs, that i heard is what the ak game and fish use , and im looking at hopefully no more the 50 yards, not shure if ill be over a bait station or not,.. whats worse case i have to unload two or three of these into it ?
    ya and this is for black bear that im hunting..

simple answer is yes... BUT like anything know your limits and the limits of your weapon of choice... I would personally have a slug at close range then just about anything..and thats for any flavor of bear.. Brenekes(sp?) do some pretty good damage too..

thats what i got brenekes..

Quote Originally Posted by freedomnight View Post
    thats what i got brenekes..

I seem to recall them being the slug of choice for some of the bear guard jobs,,will find out from a friend who is on a guard job as we speak...

i cant afford a new hunting riffle this year. so i am thinking of hunting with 3in slugs with my 12 gauge.
    I shoot the Mossberg bolt with a 2-5x scope. Absolutely deadly!! Shot the 300lb buck to the left at 165yds. He never flinched. For ammo, I shoot the Winchester Partition Golds. 385 grain hollowpoint leaving the barrel at around 1900ftsec which is comparable to some rifles. Zero drop at 100yds, 4.5" drop at 150. Over 2000 ft.lbs. of energy at 100yds. Today's modern sabot slugs are unbelievable. Shells are not cheap though($15-20 for 5 shells) and a warning: they kick like a freakin mule. No fun to shoot at the range. I would feel comfortable pointing a 12ga slug at anything that breathes.

Absolutely.
    It's what I used, when I wasn't using my bow.

What could be better at point blank killing power at 30 yards than a 12 gauge sabot?

Breneke slugs and open sights.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by pa 5-0 View Post
    I shoot the Mossberg bolt with a 2-5x scope.
    Does that have a rifled barrel...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

DO NOT LET NOT HAVING A RIFLE KEEP YOU FROM HUNTING YOU WILL BE FINE WITH A 12 GAUGE..just thought I would repeat it......SERIOUSLY!

ya thats what im hoping, one shot drop... also thinking of puting a scope on it but not sure..

oh im not letting anything keep me from hunting this year, last year i had to cancel all hunts do to family issues in the lower 48. not this year , im all in ...

oh im not letting anything keep me from hunting this year, last year i had to cancel all hunts do to family issues in the lower 48. not this year , im all in ...
    Glad to hear ... Best of luck to ya...I really mean that..

I have shot at least 20 black bear with the black magic 2 3/4 1 oz slug normally over a bait at 25 yards or closer. I have had bears run 50 yards and aldo die right on the spot. With that slug you always get huge holes if you hit them behind the shoulder. fantastic round

Plus no need to shoot sabots in a rifled barrel, if ya have one, use the brennekes or any rifled slug with a slug barrel, same difference, no issues!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast