Thread: Trapped Eagles

Default Trapped Eagles

http://www.adn.com/2013/03/26/284101...es-killed.html

Is it normal to be prosecuted for incidental catch of an eagle at a bait pile?

There must be some other info witheld from this article, right?

Seems that whoever caught the birds simply added them to his pile after they were caught. Incidental catches are only okay if you're honest and tell Fish and Game about them. You're bound to catch a non target animal at one point or another, and that's fine, so long as you take the right measures afterwards!
    Ryan from Wasilla

That is why I never use exposed bait. To many birds. If a person wants to set a bait pile use snares, but set them on the trails going into the bait not on the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    Seems that whoever caught the birds simply added them to his pile after they were caught. Incidental catches are only okay if you're honest and tell Fish and Game about them. You're bound to catch a non target animal at one point or another, and that's fine, so long as you take the right measures afterwards!
    I didn't see that stated in the article. Do you have other information? The comments to the article are filled with standard ADN ignorance. One person talks about how rare golden eagles are in Alaska. Anyone who spends any time in the mountains has seen many Golden eagles and the state has a stable population. I suppose most folks in Anchorage probably don't realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I didn't see that stated in the article. Do you have other information?

Re-read the third paragraph.

It simply says that they were on top of the pile of meat and killed by a snare trying to get to the meat.

It simply says that they were on top of the pile of meat and killed by a snare trying to get to the meat.

I think that kinda sums up the alleged illegal act, then. What else are you asking about?

Of course, I never put too much concern into these types of articles, for all we know, the guy hasn't done anything wrong. I wouldn't put it past some anti-trapping hippie-type in Chickaloon to try to set him up...

Supporting Member

Unfortunately, the ADN is seldom "fair-handed" when publishing these kind of articles. While there were two eagles found dead on a bait pile, who's to say they were killed by a trapper? I'm sure if the USF&W enforcement guys thought it was intentional and knew who did it, the person would already have been arrested and charged. As pointed out earlier in this thread, there is nothing to stop an "Anti-trapping" person from killing eagles and placing them on a legal trapper's bait pile to incriminate the trapper. Not saying that is the case here, but similar things have been staged with snares and caribou and snares and wolves in the past. All is not always as it seems and the ADN only promotes the "liberal" viewpoint IMO. Only time will tell "the rest of the story".

I didn't see that stated in the article. Do you have other information? The comments to the article are filled with standard ADN ignorance. One person talks about how rare golden eagles are in Alaska. Anyone who spends any time in the mountains has seen many Golden eagles and the state has a stable population. I suppose most folks in Anchorage probably don't realize that.
    No, don't have any other information. Went off of what DucksAndDogs mentioned about the third paragraph. Just kinda assumed that the situation was that way. Who knows though, could be anything I guess!
    Ryan from Wasilla