Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angled or Straight Spotting Scope

Default Angled or Straight Spotting Scope

Hey everyone Im looking into getting a new spotting scope and just wanted to know what everyone's preference was on angled or straight spotting scopes?
    -Thanks!

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

I'm glad you posted this question because it's one that I've asked a number of individuals over time. The two arguments that I've been given are: 1) easier or more natural target acquisition with a straight through system and 2) less fatigue for long-term use with an angled system. I look forward to hearing from others who spend more time behind a scope than I have where my primary use at this point in time is on the shooting range.

search it, this thread is almost as popular as bear backup guns....

more of a difference in your happiness will come from the glass than the ergonomics of them...i had straight. went to angled, won't go back to straight.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks BRWNBR!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    search it, this thread is almost as popular as bear backup guns....

more of a difference in your happiness will come from the glass than the ergonomics of them...i had straight. went to angled, won't go back to straight.
    +1 first two spotters were straight...last two have been angled...won't go back to straight. Good glass is primary and either will work, but personal preference is really what it comes down to.

I've always been straight, and will stay straight.....

For reason mentioned above, quicker acquisition. It's a personal preference to me, what ever you want to roll with. I do prefer the straight advantage when the in-laws come down and we go into Denali park I usually install the window mount for them to look at wildlife, they get a kick out of that.
    I Use the window mount extensively along the haul road hunts glassing caribou, when I used to frequent it on long weekends, and the angled wasn't doing it for me.

I was straight then tried giving angled a fair shot and didnt like it... Personal preference of course.. I like using my scope laying on my side or laying my pack or on a ridge with out a tripod and straight just works better for me...

spotting scope he asked about Bear, not a telescope out looking for pirates!!!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I was straight then tried giving angled a fair shot and didnt like it... Personal preference of course.. I like using my scope laying on my side or laying my pack or on a ridge with out a tripod and straight just works better for me...
    I could never do that with my scope, just can't hold it steady enough, I even tried the "rest the spotter on the pack" thing and that doesn't work either. I think Buck Nelson had a spotter mount on his pack frame from his video.

spotting scope he asked about Bear, not a telescope out looking for pirates!!!
    Lol arrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I could never do that with my scope, just can't hold it steady enough, I even tried the "rest the spotter on the pack" thing and that doesn't work either. I think Buck Nelson had a spotter mount on his pack frame from his video.
    I can only do it on low power....kind of like lookin through binos or a spotter on a boat..used to get lots o practice down Bechoraf way..

LOL Jake now that you mention it it does kind of look like that....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I could never do that with my scope, just can't hold it steady enough, I even tried the "rest the spotter on the pack" thing and that doesn't work either.
    That's the only way I COULD use it sometimes when the wind gets too bad.....no chance with the tripod. Lay the pack down flat on the ground and lay the scope on top of it. Then sometimes lay something heavy on top of the scope......the lower the profile the better of course. My Nikon is straight as well......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Lol kind of????
    When I sheep hunt I didn't bring a tripod, always laid it on my pack or the ground. Much more stable and saved we a lot of weight.
    Master guide 212

I see the benefits of both. I have an angled and with a little time you get pretty quick at acquiring targets. Even got fairly quick when I roll the angle to the side. I think its personal preference.

Straight for me... although my tall body would appreciate an angled one at times

Just got a Swarovski 65HD straight, always used the straight scopes in the past.

Out in the field, your profile may be exposed more with an angled scope so I go straight. It feels natural and good to me.

On the other hand, when shooting indoors I love using an angled scope.

Regardless of what works for any of us, this discussion really rests on the fact only you know what feels right. Go to Sportsmans, and lay down on the floor and see what will work for you. Remember to put an obsticle in front of you to act like your looking over a ridge: you'll decide if you want your upper body exposed or just your head.

Good luck!

most of the angled scopes rotate so you can look in from the side. just as looking over a ridge is tougher with angled, looking up is worse with a straight, most sheep i look at are up....they both have their good sides and dark sides. like i said before, good glass will out weight the shape of your spotter.
    Master guide 212

....like i said before, good glass will out weight the shape of your spotter.

What he said...

I use straight because I got a good deal on a Zeiss, and it just happened to be that way. I'd probably use angled if money where no object, but it's pretty far down the list of things I worry about when I buy optics.

Yk

I'm straight and will remain straight as well! Super quick aligning and finding game. Also don't like the idea of my head being exposed above the horizon when peering down through an angled scope. I hunt a lot of game where I don't want to be exposed above the horizon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast