Thread: 225 gr .358 Speer flat points @ 2400fps on big critters?

Default 225 gr .358 Speer flat points @ 2400fps on big critters?

Have talked to several people that say they use this bullet as an all around bullet in the .35 Whelen, for moose & even brownies (but it's always a friend of a friend that took a brownie with one).
    I'm considering them in my 15" Encore 35 Whelen AI barrel. Should run 2400ish fps. Moose, blackies, & the occasional brownie (if the opportunity should arise). What's everyone's thoughts? Under 250 yds will I gain anything bullet performance wise with the Accubond, Partition, or Kodiak?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Speer .358" bullets

I know of a Speer flat point 220 grain bullet, which is a standard cup and core bullet. Might be okay on moose, but I think I'd go with another bullet for what you can an "occasional" brownie." 8*) I'd also limit use of this bullet or another for that matter to 200 yards or less in that set-up for retained velocity and energy.

Default 220's

I use the 220's in my Whelen. No game taken yet. The 225 Speer is a little better design and is devistating on moose and caribou.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks guys. Hopefully someone will chime in with actual experince with this bullet. Mauserboy, it is their "HotCore" design, but not a bonded bullet. The Speer tech who says he lived & hunted in AK. for years says he'd have no qualms about it in the 35s for big bear & said it should still open down to approx 1600 (he said 1500-1600) fps impact velocity on living tissue. I should be running about 1800 @ 250 yds. I'd never think of brownies at that distance, but black bear or a nice shot on moose....
    The BC does stink though.
    Dave, what velocity are you driving the 225s at? Somehow I've missed the 225 Speers. Has your performance on moose been such that you wouldn't be afraid of using it on brownies @ 150yds & under?
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default 225's

I have taken 1 moose, 1 red squrriel, some ptargiman and 4-5 caribou with them. NOTHING, has left their tracks they were standing in at the time, except maybe forward as their heads hit. 58 grains of 4064 and no I would not feel any restraint on using them on any animal. No chronograph but I have a 22" barrel on the 7600.

Thanks Dave.
    I'm still not finding a 225 Speer. What model is it?
    Vance in AK.

Default Sierra

My fault, Sierra 225. Too many boxes of bullets laying around.

Thanks Dave, gives me one more option.
    On a side note, what kid of penetration did you get on the red squirrel? Did you hit any bone. Front shoulders to break it down, or keep it in the ribs???? Was it enough gun (will my .44 mag stop a red squirrel????)?
    Vance in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    ...Was it enough gun (will my .44 mag stop a red squirrel????)?
    The 44mag used to be the most powerful handgun in the world but now there are better options. However, if you know how to place your shots, and use at least a 300gr hardcast bullet you might be alright. Learn how to shoot it and leave the hollow points at home!

Talking Squrriel

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Thanks Dave, gives me one more option.
    On a side note, what kid of penetration did you get on the red squirrel? Did you hit any bone. Front shoulders to break it down, or keep it in the ribs???? Was it enough gun (will my .44 mag stop a red squirrel????)?
    I hit ribs going in so the bullet must have started to expand a little. Penetration must have been complete as I was not able to recover the bullet. Or, anything else except the head and rear legs. I truly believe that the 180 SSP pistol bullets may be a better option for squrriels if less meat damage is desired.