Thread: Merc 40 Jet, Kenai Legal?

Default Merc 40 Jet, Kenai Legal?

Thinking about getting a new boat and want a Kenai legal jet with the most possible power allowed. This question is tricky due to how the regulation reads "power at the prop shaft". Let me know what you think, or other suggestions.

As long as the power head has 50hp or less and four stroke your fine. It's a prop shaft rating they are talking about so look at the hp rating of the power head and you will be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I looked on the website and im guessing thats a 60/40 so 60 propeller hp and 40 jet hp. So no it would not be legal.
    NRA life Member JVJ

If you're talking about use for dipnetting, below the gasline horsepower is unlimited.

It's what the motor is rated at. Doesn't matter if it's a jet or prop, as long as it's four stroke or e-tec and under 50hp

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    It's what the motor is rated at. Doesn't matter if it's a jet or prop, as long as it's four stroke or e-tec and under 50hp

sent from my igloo
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Essentially, whatever the big sticker said when the motor was new. 50 or lower and you are good (4 stroke or 2 stroke w/DFI), over 50 and not good.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Essentially, whatever the big sticker said when the motor was new. 50 or lower and you are good (4 stroke or 2 stroke w/DFI), over 50 and not good.
    Be careful here, a "40hp" factory jet uses a 60ph power head, it will come with a 40hp sticker and is NOT legal on the Kenai. I've talked to guys launching at Bings who said they never had any trouble with enforcement guys, but that engine is technically not legal.