Thread: Hiline Fuel Run

Default Hiline Fuel Run

Hiline fuel run.

Mike Mason at Alexander Ck. and three friends volunteered to haul fuel to Hiline Lake for Jenny Lamb. The plan is for Mike and Nancy to use his freight hauling sleds to get the six barrels as close as possible and transfer them to smaller sleds. The ADVENTURE as Mike called it was to begin on Friday the 22nd. I arrived at Point Mackenzie parking lot at 12 o'clock on the 21st to follow Mike and Nancy to Alexander Ck. To spend the night in order to get an early start in the morning. They had two sleds with three barrels in each sled. The 25 miles was uneventful, Mike and Nancy have a freight hauling business and their professionalism made it look easy.

The weather report for Friday was a couple inches of snow just enough to keep ever thing lubricated. Mike woke up to 8 inches of snow and when I got up it was 10 inches with no sign of stopping. Mike postponed the trip for 24 hr. That afternoon we went for a short trip to visit one of Mike's friends that said he would go and decided not to. I think the snow had something to do with it. LOL Arriving back home at Mike's house we were covered with snow from head to foot and me with no rain gear.
    Around 8pm the snow stopped and the weather report called for clear skies.

Two inches of snow ended up to being 16 inches of powder and there is no way we can haul six barrels across soft snow up a hill. So the plan was changed to two barrels and we got good news from a person who came from the Tal. There is a trail to Top lake that people have been hauling freight to Hiline. Yeaaaaa, for once good news!!!

Saturday morning clear skies the ADVENTURE is on Paul and Ellis arrive and a little after 8am we are on the trail, Paul is in front plowing through 16 inches of powder. I'm next helping pack the trail followed by Mike and Ellis pulling sleds. Poor Paul for 19 miles he was in a cloud of snow having to stand up to see over the snow coming over the windshield. I stayed back just far enough to see Paul and if he disappears slow down to see if he went down a hill or broke through the ice. :eek The father west we went the less snow. Just before Eightmile lake we turned to the left and I took over following my GPS track picking my way through the trees and trying to stay on the trail someone had made and keeping on track. After a couple of wrong turns we arrived at the hill and no sign of anybody coming down the hill. Mike and Paul continue down the trail Ellis and I went to check out the hill. With out a trail coming down the hill there was no way to determine where the trail was. Returning to the main trail we were told they found the groom trail into Top Lake. How is that possible? Arriving at the lake Mike asked me is this Top lake, I said no. Mike asked what's the name of this lake? I don't know but it's not Top Lake. Top Lake is three miles away up a 400 ft near vertical wall. Mike and Paul decided to check out the area and disappear for over an hour they found a trail to the Tal that was too steep to take a sled down. It's almost 7pm and were 75 miles from Alexander arriving at Mike's home at 10:30 a 135+ mile trip.

Weeks of gathering information, Mike and friends making a trip via the south side and now we find no one has been to Hiline by snowmobile this year. This is not unusual for Hiline, it's one of the hardest places to get into by snowmobile. It has steep hills (over 300 feet high) to the North and East and to the South a 100 ft hill, a deep creek only possible under the best of snow condition and walls of alters. Lets not forget 120 mile round trip with no gas until you get home. To the East the Tal rapids, miles of deep gorges and steep wall and let not forget several miles of rolling hills and alters if we were able to get on top. It is only traveled in the the best of conditions or by some one with a death wish. With knowing all this it would still have been possible if we had a broken trail into the Hiline lake. Who would have thought our information was to a different lake?

Thank you Mike and Nancy for your wonderful hospitality. I had a great time.

It looked like the only way to get fuel into Hiline this year is by airplane.

sounds like a good ride an see some new land , thanks for the up date
    SID