Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend switch rod?

Default Recommend switch rod?

I am looking at getting a switch rod as a little change of pace. What would experience suggest for a budget minded fisherman? I would love a sage or g loomis, but if its like all the other expensive rods ive had, I will just trip and fall on it and turn that 2 piece into a 3 piece! Thanks.

I just got a 5wt Echo SR and love it. I would highly recommend them. My favorite switch rod is a 6 wt Z Axis I borrowed from a friend for a spring Kvichak trip.
    Anyway, with the new 5 wt I don't have a need for my 7 wt. It is an 11 foot st croix imperial. Would come with skagit line and reel as well. Let me know if your interested, we can always work out a trade or something as well.

IMO sage makes the best rods for the money. You can't beat the warranty sage puts on it's rods and even sages lower end rods come with a full life time warranty it sometimes takes awhile to get them back from sage tho. There new rods and new graphite I think is the best on the market. It depends on what you want to fish with it as well. You can get a new sage for around 200 and go as high as 800+. I think they are far better than echos or g loomis. I don't like how they sell g loomis at sportsmans warehouse, your way better off getting one at a local fly shop. Mossy fly shop has always been great about retuning rods to sage for me. I fish with a sage XP,ONE, FLI, and a launch so I have the price full range. I have broke about 6-7 sages but I also fish kings with 7 and 8wt, and reds have broke a few launches of mine but sage always has had great customer service and I have always gotten a brand new rod for 40-50 bucks you have to pay for S&H. Even the lower rods have a fast action and are easy to cast for even the newest fly fisherman. If you going to spend money on a fly rod why not get one with a great warranty.

ECHO SR - at $330 with an OO lifetime warranty and $35 replacement fee, this twig is tough to beat. In addition, the new SR isn't the "baby poo" green any more...they are now a much more subdued slate color and as a result of the new paint job, they seem slightly stiffer than the old SR.

The best thing you could do is go to a shop that has a few brands of switch rods and try them out. Mossys has been known to have a few, and down in Juneau, AFFG has a whole rack of them.

Munster,
    I bought my first two-handed rod a few years ago, a Redington CPX 1066 (10'6 6wt; $340)... and I can say it was all over from there. I now have a few more switch rods and even a full spey; I rarely even fish a single hand anymore. The CPX is a good starter rod; medium-fast action and relatively forgiving.. great for nymphing beads and swinging streamers. At 10'6, it is relatively short for a two-hander, but it gets you in the game, and allows you to fish smaller water like Quartz Ck without a super long tip snagging up on everything overhead. Plus, you can single hand cast this rod with ease.... However, I also have a Sage Z 5110 and a Z 7110 and there is definitely a huge difference here; twice the price, twice the rod. Whether you need a rod of that caliber is a matter of budget and preference. Either way, when you get a new two-hander there will be much to learn about casting technique and line matching and it opens up a whole new dimension of fly-fishing. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

AKGrayling, you have my interest in the imperial, I tried to send you a PM, but no luck.

I have a Sage Z Axis 7110 with a Lamson ARX 3+ and its probably my number one used rod. Its pretty much the best money Ive ever spent on a fly rod. Good thing about breaking a Sage, they fix it!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Shoot me an email rileypeck@hotmail.com

I just started using the switch rod, I love it. I probably will not use the single hand fly rod again unless fishing on a real small stream. I bought the Cabela's TLR rod. I think it is a good starter rod just to know whether switch rod is for you or not.

I am thinking about getting another switch rod for my trip to Kenai in Sept. So the info provided so far is great for me too.

I got a TFO 11' 7wt a few years ago and while it is awesome. I got to throw a ECHO TR 13'6 7wt and man that thing was amazing. Really look at how you are going to use it. I got a switch thinking o hey i can 2 hand or 1 hand. so now i never 1 hand it and have a short 2 hander. Really wishing i got the longer stick.

But i do highly recommened the TFO rods. Good quality and a bulletproof warranty. $25 no faults.

Where would you guys recommend buying a rod in Anchorage?

Mossy's Fly shop

Mossey's fly sop

Mossys Fly Shop!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Mossy's Fly Shop!

I made the transition to switch and spey a few years ago as well. I now have mostly dialed them down to winter fishing for my style and have taken a lot of the two handed casts and applied them to my single hand game. In the winter I prefer Switch and spey for many reasons but foremost you attack the river a little differently than a single hander more so targeting fish on the swing. also my favorite feature to these styles is you typically are working them same amount of line allowing you to not have to strip line in to make another cast. This proves awesome when everyone else is chipping ice out of the eyelets. So don't sell them single handed rods when accompanied with two handed techniques will improve your ability to catch those drifts otherwise hard to reach.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Mossy's Fly Shop!
    agreed, best customer service you will find.

What about line? What do you guys recommend for a beginner looking at going switch? as Ive noticed your also looking at $100-200 in line for a two handed set up.

Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    What about line? What do you guys recommend for a beginner looking at going switch? as Ive noticed your also looking at $100-200 in line for a two handed set up.
    For line it's all about hitting the right grain window for the rod. When I first got my two hander I went to a fly shop in town that will remain unnamed and they tried to sell me a regular 7 weight line for a spey rod. I didn't know much but I knew that was not right! I would again talk to Mossy's about what type of line to throw for a certain rod.

Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    Depends on what you want to do with your switchrod.

If you are using it as a long singlehander, just get a singlehand line a few line weights above the listed rod weight, e.g. a 7 or 8wt singlehand line on a 5wt switchrod. I like AirFlo Rangefinder for indicator fishing, as it is a 63' head with good cast- and mend-ability. Other lines I like are AirFlo sixth sense delta (46' head) and 40+ (36' head). These lines are $70-80 apiece.

For throwing light flies on lightly weighted polyleaders or floating leaders with spey-family casts, I would go with an AirFlo Scandi Compact attached to a miracle braid running line. The Scandi head will run you $55, the running line $30.

For heavy flies or fishing sink-tips, my choice would be an AirFlo Skagit Switch with the same miracle braid running line. Like the Scandi, the Skagit Switch head is $55. AirFlo T-material for sink-tips is available pre-looped and cut at 18' ($20) or 10 ($17).

You can get the best of both worlds - small fly / floating tip or up to about 10' of T-10 - with an AirFlo Rage Compact. These are the same price as the skagit and scandi heads ($55). While it will do both, it doesn't cast little stuff as delicately or efficiently as a scandi head, and it doesn't have the tip mass to turn over large flies and heavy tips...but if you can only afford one line, this would be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast