Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you go marmot hunting?

Default Would you go marmot hunting?

Mentioned to a friend of mine I would like to take my .223 WSSM out on a marmot hunt, he wigged out "why would you what to shoot marmots?" Cause it's fun? Am I bad?

What do you mean by bad? It's legal. You just have to have a trapping license and you have to salvage either the hide or meat. I don't know why it would be bad unless you were practicing wanton waste. Just make sure you salvage the hide or meat and you should be fine. I know there are certain areas you have to be in to hunt them but you have to look in the trapping regs to figure that out. Sounds fun. It would probably be really fun with a 50 Cal. BMG for long range distance practice.

Salvage the hide and the meat! The hides were used for millennia in parka making and, if they are similar to their smaller cousins the ground squirrel, their meat is very good!

Marmot in the alpine around southeast is quite challenging (read "fun") with a .22LR. Getting in close for a headshot is tricky! Not only are they hard to spot (often alpine vegetation is taller than the marmot) they are always on the lookout with keen eyes and if there are many around once one spots you they whistle...forget about it... until you get to the next bowl or around the corner. Early in the spring and late sept/october their fur is quite lush. Trapping license a neccessity like Bushwhack. Great excuse to go for a hike and stay in shape! Go get em!

Stalking marmots is a blast! Look for them anywhere above treeline with bathtub or kitchen table-sized boulders; they WILL see you before you see them, best way to find them is listen for the "whistle"...sort of a cross between a rabbit squeak and a wheeze. They will head for cover when they spot you...that's when you want to quickly move up.....don't worry, they'll pop back out in a bit, they can't stand not being able to see!

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Shot this white buff at 350yds two years ago with my 257 Wby while sheep hunting, mostly because my son said I couldn't hit them, yea and we ate them too, but it wasn't that good and them things stink too!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Whistling pigs.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Thanks for all the replies! When I said "bad" I meant unethical for shooting something I may not eat, but I would definitely salvage the pelt. Any one have any experience hunting Hatcher pass for them?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Salvage the hide and the meat! The hides were used for millennia in parka making and, if they are similar to their smaller cousins the ground squirrel, their meat is very good!
    +1. Personally, I wouldn't choose to shoot one if I wasn't going to eat it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Mentioned to a friend of mine I would like to take my .223 WSSM out on a marmot hunt, he wigged out "why would you what to shoot marmots?" Cause it's fun? Am I bad?
    Cause you can?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Do we have those on the peninsula?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Plenty around Bradley Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I really wouldn't go out of my way to go hunting for them, unless it was the only thing available to keep me from starving to death.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    All over up above Tusty. I killed and et one too. I didn't think the meat was bad at all.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! When I said "bad" I meant unethical for shooting something I may not eat, but I would definitely salvage the pelt. Any one have any experience hunting Hatcher pass for them?
    There used to be a lot more up archangel road, still enough to hunt up there.

If you go up to hatchers pass to but them, it's best to go early in the morning before most of the hikers get out there. As some may not approve of your practices even if they are completely legal.

I can't go above treeline down here without those critters driving my brittany absolutely nuts. I think it would be good practice, especially at judging distances and if you're not gonna eat the meat I bet you could find a trapper that would use it. Maybe good bear bait?

Quote Originally Posted by Coos County View Post
    I can't go above treeline down here without those critters driving my brittany absolutely nuts. I think it would be good practice, especially at judging distances and if you're not gonna eat the meat I bet you could find a trapper that would use it. Maybe good bear bait?
    Make sure you have a Trapping License...this is the only way you can legally shoot a marmot. If you are going to shoot them for target practice, or because they happen to drive your dog nuts, and then give them away, the transfer of possession form is needed if you want to be legal. You must salvage either the meat or hide.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Unlike prairie dogs and woodchucks, we can't claim that they are doing agricultural harm so the pest aspect doesn't work, so, if it's just to see their heads explode, then yes, you are bad. However, if you wish to do some long distance shooting that ends up with more than holey tin cans and brings you home with some pelts and stuff for whistle pig fajitas.....then by all means.

I hunted them down in Washington state(call them rockchucks there) at my friends ranch a few weeks ago but down there they are considered a pest similar to how they view coyotes and there are plenty of them. Up here I don't have much interest in hunting them but I guess if the opportunity showed itself and I had the right license I might plug one.

Whistle Pig Fajitas... now that has a ring to it.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast