Thread: NAHRA Invitational Question

Default NAHRA Invitational Question

Kody, or other Midnight Sun member in the know.

I was going to call but thought others might be interested so I thought it might be better if the info was posted here.

I think the Midnight Sun Gun Dog Assn will be hosting the 2014 NAHRA Invitational. Right?

I'm kind of thinking of training my current pup for NAHRA work. Could you tell me what the requirements are to enter the Invitational? What is the NAHRA schedule in Alaska is for qualifying for the Invitational? The last time I did one (1997 maybe) I think it was pass 5 senior tests in the year before the Invitational. Are there 5 senior tests in AK between now and the end of the qualifying period? Also, I think the qualification requirements have changed.

I'd kinda like to know what the current requirements are and if there's a chance to qualify my dog.

Thanks very much,

Howard, Yes MSGDA is hosting the 2014 NAHRA Invitational. Currently All MHR's are invited to participate in the invitational. In order to earn the MHR title you must pass 4 senior tests if you have previously earned a WR title. If you do not hold the lower level title you must pass 5 Senior level tests in order to earn the MHR title. As it stands the schedule affords you 6 opportunities this year and 2 in May next year. So, yes there is time to qualify your dog. I would assume that you know what you need to do but for other folks out there I will point out that the primary difference in the NAHRA program is that a dog must be able to do the marks and blinds simailar to other venues but is also required to trail a bird in heavy cover and find it and then deliver to hand as well as quarter for upland birds which can be in a variety of covers and terrain and then flush a bird and be STEADY to flush and shot. STEADY can be stopped standing or sitting the dog just can't persue the retrieve until ordered to do so by the handler after the judge tells him to do so. If the bird is not shot and dropped and the dog remains steady it has passed that portion of the test. This is by far the biggest difference that you face in training. This year as last year MSGDA will be running the trailing and upland as part of our June picnic test so folks can come out and train for these tests. If interest is there the club will most likely schedule a few other informal training evenings for upland and trailing. MSGDA is excited to be hosting this event and encourage everyone to come and qualify your dog so yo can participate. If there are any other questions out there just ask.

Thanks, I didn't realize the regional had SR tests. I always thought it was for the started and intermediate dogs who passed 4 the year before.

MSGDA is very excited about hosting the 2014 NAHRA Invitational. Currently this event is scheduled for June 19-21, 2014.