Thread: Homer King Tournament Suggestion

Charterboat Operator

Default Homer King Tournament Suggestion

Sat/ stood around after the tourny, enjoying some good grub and brews, and got chatting to several people that were there that did not fish, but came to "check it out", a couple that had "never seen fish so big",Texans of course and some that knew what was going on. The 2 1/2 hour wait to try and figure out if we were even close in weight, got us thinking... hmmmm.

How cool would it be to have an outdoor digital display board of the scale that was weighing in fish??
    Even a 1 foot, electronic board up on the wall by the "fish weighing station" sign. It would be MUCH more interesting than standing around and waiting in silence not knowing what the fish being weighed were at all. Could be a great source of entertainment and draw in a little more interest at the after party. Other than walking the weigh in line and looking at the fish, one does really not have a clue to the size of fish being weighed.
    For those that did not have any fish weighed, you go up to the weigh station wait in line, go into the building and have your fish weighed, you do not get to see the weight, only what the scale master says is what you have to go by. How much more fun would it be to be able to see this weight, weather in line or while standing around outside? I think it would be a great source of entertainment and add a lot of fun to the great tounament.

Meant to just mention this to Cliffhanger, but since so many others fished the derby, thought i would just bring this suggestion up for comment.
    Thanks again HCOC for another fun filled day.
    Pole Bender

+1 Polebender hope you enjoyed your day.

PB-
    I'll take this up the committee when we meet next in October. Thanks!

I think this is a great idea. I've been in that crowd standing around. Having a leaderboard and/or being able to watch them weigh in the fish like it IS a tournament would be cool for the crowd.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

At our follow up meeting yesterday the committee came up with a plan to announce top 20 winners by 6:30pm, and I will suggest a leader board and video feed for next year.
    jim

I think a digital scale for all to see would be a great addition. This would add both validity and entertainment to the weigh in process. The weigh in should be the life of the party, not an eh...hem death march. This was our first time to the derby and we had a blast. I would like to thank all the courteous and helpful residents of Homer, The Chamber of Commerce, The Harbormasters Office, The Driftwood Inn, The Beluga Inn and I am sure the hundreds of other businesses and individuals that made this happen. Job Well Done Homer!
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    At our follow up meeting yesterday the committee came up with a plan to announce top 20 winners by 6:30pm, and I will suggest a leader board and video feed for next year.
    jim
    thanks for looking into this Jim, after a LOT of analyzing, we thought it would be very tough to keep an accurate leaderboard as the winning fish might be the last one weighed, and to do it either by hand or electronically would require some serious work. But some thing the crowd could watch from outside would be easy and relatively inexpensive.
    thanks again PB

Default don't disregard goin' high tech

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    thanks for looking into this Jim, after a LOT of analyzing, we thought it would be very tough to keep an accurate leaderboard as the winning fish might be the last one weighed, and to do it either by hand or electronically would require some serious work. But some thing the crowd could watch from outside would be easy and relatively inexpensive.
    thanks again PB
    Sometimes is easier and cheaper to go high tech. While this would still require some labor (one teenager would do) the rest of this idea is free:

Get a free twitter account, and send a tweet every time a fish is weighed, or possibly even when prizes are awarded throughout the day. Then everyone in town and the family back home could all stay tuned in to realtime results, even if they were stuck at work downtown Anchorage that day.

And it would be much more visible/accessible to those in that weigh line too.

Charterboat Operator

thanks again PB
    Guess maybe will have to get something then to weigh........................................

Charterboat Operator

Talking

ha ha, i was doing just fine until you started following me around!!!

Charterboat Operator

ha ha, i was doing just fine until you started following me around!!!
    Ya !! when im not getting bit I like to come in and kill every body else bite to!!!Lol