Thread: Squid 'n puss

Default Squid 'n puss

Gonna revive this again for this year...

Any new info on squid in the SE? I've noticed it is advertised on charters now. Summer seems to be the time to do it. I'm building an LED underwater light and am going to try to figure it out this year. I've even heard of a few commercial liscenses given out for $75.

Octopus... I've read the other threads and one thing sticks in my mind. Pot limits. I'm not near as bound by the rules as PWS is (they are not as strict.) No limits on shrimp, no seasons etc... I remember reading on the other octo thread a reply from ADFG:

Thanks for being patient on this matter. No, it is not legal for you to add octopus traps to your string of five shrimp pots. The definition of a pot is a portable structure designed and constructed to capture and retain fish and shellfish alive in the water. As you know, while targeting shrimp in Prince William Sound waters, you are allowed five shrimp pots per person, with a maximum of five shrimp pots per vessel. If you are currently using five shrimp pots and you add any number of pots for any other species, you then go over the maximum allowance of five pots per person. You could use four shrimp pots and one octopus pot for a total of five pots, or any other combination where the total number of pots is no more than five.

In Prince William Sound, octopi fall under “other shellfish;” there is no bag, possession, or size limit. When targeting octopi, you are allowed five pots per person and 10 pots per vessel. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Notice the bold part: 5 shrimp pots. So if you have octopots they count as shrimp pots? What about crab pots? you can't go for crab and shrimp on the same trip?

Anyway, the research seems to point to a winter fishery for them.. I have only got one Octopuss last year. That was late in the year too. I would like to get more.

Are you talking about market squid or humbolt squid like this:
    Attachment 69300

I was in ADF&G in Homer a few years ago and my buddy asked about Octopus pots and they didn't seem to have a problem with us setting some.
    I guess I would ask again before setting any to be sure. I would also need to ask about pot limits etc.
    I bought some of the material needed to make some Octopus pots but haven't gotten around to figuring out the final logistics on the build and actually building some. When I do I will post some pictures up.
    As for PWS they do not have shrimp and crab seasons going on at the same time so it is a mute point on that I guess.
    Where you are at in SE it would certainly be different.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I don't think they are humbolt or market. If I remember right they are "armhook" squid.

Didn't realize the season thing in PWS...

Here's a great publication I just picked up. http://seagrant.uaf.edu/bookstore/pubs/SG-ED-65.html I got it at the North Pacific Research Board offices in downtown Anchorage.

I think the most abundant species here is Berryteuthis magister ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berryteuthis_magister ), the armhook squid as mentioned before. They were listed in the book as demersal (bottom dwelling)versus pelagic (open ocean) but apparently there is some vertical migration at night. Picked up several sets of underwater LED lights to try. Now I just got to stay awake during the dark hours of summer...that sounds like the hardest part...

I picked up one of those 150 LED strips. Supposed to put out like 5000 lumens. I am making my own light. Hopefully it will pan out.