Thread: Pasagshak launch on Kodiak

Default Pasagshak launch on Kodiak

I have a friend on Kodiak who wants me to bring my 20 ft jet boat out to do some fishing. From looking around, Ugak Bay looks like some great fishing. Does anyone know if it is possible to launch a jet boat there without a 5 ton army truck or excavator? I would hate to have to drive around the Cape and I dont think thats a great idea in a smaller craft. Thanks for any info!!

I have observed launchings from that area utilizing additional brace(s) attached onto a standard trailer hitch.

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Do-able, but.... There's some local knowledge in doing it- specifically the tides and predicted wind direction. Most of the problems come when the tide is out to expose more soft bottom, as the wind is meanwhile blowing into the bay with chop breaking on shore. Lotta trucks been buried in sand there and swamped. Plenty of folks pull it off easily without the big rigs, or even with extension hitches. But it's a VERY good idea to have a second 4WD truck handy along with at least a 50' tow chain in case things go haywire on you. If it was easy they're be about 100 boat trailers parked there every single weekend. But it's not unusual to see over a dozen even with the potential problems.

Ya, should be able to do it, but make sure you have the gear and a second truck just incase, and that that second truck has the guts to pull teh first oen and boat out.

There should still be a cable buried higher up on the beach too, so if your truck has a winch you can pull yourself up and out if the tide is low or the sand is loose. If not, a second truck is a real good idea just incase.