Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DG331 Resurrection Creek, West

Default DG331 Resurrection Creek, West

Hello AOD Members. This year I was very lucky and pulled a goat tag. Even more than that I pulled my number one choice DG331 Resurrection Creek, West (Aug 10 to Oct 15). DG331 for those of you that do not know runs from Hope to Cooper Landing along and west of Resurrection Pass Trail. Last year was the first time the hunt had been opened up since 2005.

Here's the web address to the DG331 hunt adfg map: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=12460

Much earlier in the year I had made plans to do some scouting around Resurrection Pass Trail in preparation for black bear hunting, if I win ever a DC001 caribou tag, possible sheep, ptarmigan, wolf, and hopefully goat. Well I won the goat tag but have not done the on the ground scouting (though I've planned a few preseason trips).

I have limited mountain climbing experience, none where there isn't a trail, and I would really like some advise on getting up to the goats. I have given Jeff Selinger the area biologist a call already and I may just have to call him again to thank him for the great advise and for giving up an HOUR of his time to help me out.

I will be scouting the mountains around rimrock creek and gold gulch for accessible goats. Though time will be spent around swan lake and between Johnson creek and porcupine creek.

Does anyone have advise for avoiding excessive bushwhacking from Resurrection Pass Trail to the tree line near gold gulch and rimrock creek? This area is near the end of resurrection rd. Is there a trail there that i do not see on the map/satellite photos? Should I pick up some kahtoola micro spikes, would they help? Anything extra help would be greatly appreciated and you guy/gals can expect a write up when I get back.

I purchased a 300 win mag and plan on using 180 grain Federal Trophy copper bullets. I have had great success with Barnes vor-tx ttx .243 win 80 grain bullets on caribou recently. i have been shooting rem core-loks for years and finally shifted to premium ammo... wow big difference if you hit a rib, shoulder blade, or vertebrae. I have some photos that I could share but do not know how to attach them using my iPad?

In the meantime I will keep researching and working out in preparation for the climbing and packing.

Thanks in advance.

I have to admit, I've never really thought about goat in that area, so I can't advise you there.....sorry

As far as crampons go these seem to be pretty popular and will probably be what I buy for my upcoming goat hunt as well.... http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80140
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have to admit, I've never really thought about goat in that area, so I can't advise you there.....sorry

As far as crampons go these seem to be pretty popular and will probably be what I buy for my upcoming goat hunt as well.... http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80140
    I didn't mention Crampons before because I had only seen the ice climbing/toe pick ones. The 6 instep Crampons on the other hand look much better suited to slippery/wet alders and grasses. Thanks for the advise.

I suppose it is reasonable to disregard DG331 as it is prone to closures and has a very low success draw rates, which make it a once or none in a lifetime hunt, with little chance or registration openings. I did get some good information from some of your past posts hunting in the Resurrection Pass area though so thank you for that... nice caribou by the way. Originally I was thinking of you, AGL4now, and Brian M when constructing this thread hoping you guys might have some words of wisdom to share about bushwacking and/or climbing the mountains in the area as it seems like a pretty popular black bear hunt.

Thanks again for the Hillsound Cypress 6 Instep Crampon suggestion. They look great.

check your messages

edit: nevermind, you can't receive private messages. got an email address?

Brwhunter1@gmail.com should work.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    How many Permits are there for DG331

I am going to start a thread you might find interesting, about poaching goats.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    How many Permits are there for DG331

I am going to start a thread you might find interesting, about poaching goats.
    Interesting. So poaching is a problem? I look forward to reading it. There are 5 permits given a year (2012 and 2013) it used to be 3 (2005 and before).

There is a trail that runs up the ridge on the north side of Porcupine Creek. You can park at the camp ground or there is also a separate parking lot as well. It will get you up top without beating the brush. Not sure what you'll run into up top but it's a close enough to make a weekend scouting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    There is a trail that runs up the ridge on the north side of Porcupine Creek. You can park at the camp ground or there is also a separate parking lot as well. It will get you up top without beating the brush. Not sure what you'll run into up top but it's a close enough to make a weekend scouting trip.
    Thanks AKWonderer. I had run across this trail while booking cabins along Resurrection Pass Trail and thought it sounded interesting. According to Jeff Selinger this is where the only successful hunt took place last year. A 4yr old nanny was taken off this trail near Johnson Creek but could be wrong about the age. Looks like it will be worth a weekend as you suggest.

I have been talking about a lot about avoiding bushwhacking and available defined trails a lot on this thread and maybe I should clarify the reason. My father will be accompanying me on this hunt and subsequent scouting trips and excessive bushwhacking is not in his wheelhouse, if you know what I mean. I would like to get him to a point where he can see me (and hopefully my partner, though I haven't found one yet, i've got my feelers out) when we make the final assent.

thanks again to AKWonderer, Meknowy, and 4merguide for the advise. It was much appreciated.

[QUOTE=BRWHUNTER;1264599]Interesting. So poaching is a problem?

No....... it is not an issue today.

[QUOTE=AGL4now;1264622]
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    Interesting. So poaching is a problem?

No....... it is not an issue today.
    Okay. You have me intrigued now. Did a poacher get killed? Did one get arrested?? What are you hinting at??
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Congrats on your tag BRWHUNTER! This is an area I'm really intrigued by and was hoping to draw myself. I don't know much about accessing the west side of the Res Pass trail from the north end. But you have a long summer ahead of you to scout it out! I know of a horse trail up Cannonball Creek - but don't know if there are any goats in that area. Anyway - I'm excited to hear how you do!

As for crampons... I really like the Petzl Crab 6. The Hillsound Cyprus 6 look nice, too - though ratchets just seem like something that can go wrong in the field. The Petzl's are pretty much indestructible. I also know people who have done fine hunting goats with the kahtoola micro spikes.
    http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...Fe5AMgodKG0AxQ

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

[QUOTE=HuntAK59;1265244]
    Okay. You have me intrigued now. Did a poacher get killed? Did one get arrested?? What are you hinting at??
    I used to poach a lot of Mt. Goats and I started a thread about that subject, but it got locked down...........I just thought some younger people would be interested, and could ask questions.......But, it is their forum, their silly rules, etc......I have sold a lot of Goat Horns at gunshows, still have a box or two of Goat horns around someplace, I think I will send the horns to a forum member in Florida for custom knife handles. There are still a LOT of Mt. Goats in Alaska, on a good day I can see 25 from the cabin window. Sometimes they are on the Hope Road or across the road over in the tideal areas licking the rocks.

[QUOTE=AGL4now;1265376]
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post

I used to poach a lot of Mt. Goats and I started a thread about that subject, but it got locked down...........I just thought some younger people would be interested, and could ask questions.......But, it is their forum, their silly rules, etc......I have sold a lot of Goat Horns at gunshows, still have a box or two of Goat horns around someplace, I think I will send the horns to a forum member in Florida for custom knife handles. There are still a LOT of Mt. Goats in Alaska, on a good day I can see 25 from the cabin window. Sometimes they are on the Hope Road or across the road over in the tideal areas licking the rocks.
    Ahh. Gotcha. Bad thing to admit to haha. But I am an up and coming goat hunter having harvested my first last year and going for another this year. So your information is appreciated dearly by me and likewise. Just so ya know.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

I used to poach a lot of Mt. Goats and I started a thread about that subject, but it got locked down...........I just thought some younger people would be interested, and could ask questions.......But, it is their forum, their silly rules, etc......
    Silly rules? Ha! What can I say? We're ridiculous in that we don't want our site used to promote and/or glorify illegal activity. If you want to report yourself as having broken the law, have at it - but any encouragement to do so will be summarily deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Silly rules? Ha! What can I say? We're ridiculous in that we don't want our site used to promote and/or glorify illegal activity. If you want to report yourself as having broken the law, have at it - but any encouragement to do so will be summarily deleted.
    Wow, did you major in "Creative" reading.............sorry, I did not see anything about "Glorify illegal activity". If I was a young hunter, I would rather get some advise from someone who has harvested a lot of Mt. Goats in several Mountain Ranges (Note: Before you were born) than the experts here who have harvested one or two Mt. Goats.

If I was a young hunter, I would rather get some advise from someone who has harvested a lot of Mt. Goats in several Mountain Ranges (Note: Before you were born) than the experts here who have harvested one or two Mt. Goats.
    I guess thats where I differ from you. I'd rather get advise from those that have harvested or help other harvest goats LEGALLY than some guy that ran up a mountain and poached them. I'd always rather learn from those that do it right rather than poach regardless of experience. Now if is was a young poacher looking for advise on how to poach you bet I'd be PMing ya, but I'm not interested in such activities and I hope most here are not as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I guess thats where I differ from you. I'd rather get advise from those that have harvested or help other harvest goats LEGALLY than some guy that ran up a mountain and poached them. I'd always rather learn from those that do it right rather than poach regardless of experience. Now if is was a young poacher looking for advise on how to poach you bet I'd be PMing ya, but I'm not interested in such activities and I hope most here are not as well....
    So you are saying that "YOU" have never ever exceded the posted speed limit, ever......I guess that's where you and I differ, some people tell the truth and others pretend that they are PURE as the new snow.

And for you information......... I never ever ran up the mountain........Just for your education, as it appears you don't know everything about Mt. Goat "Harvesting" I would shoot them just off the road, Gut them, and roll them into the truck. See now you learned something today.

But because you are a moderator you win, as you can delete my post, if it hurts your feeling.

So you are saying that "YOU" have never ever exceded the posted speed limit, ever......I guess that's where you and I differ, some people tell the truth and others pretend that they are PURE as the new snow.

And for you information......... I never ever ran up the mountain........Just for your education, as it appears you don't know everything about Mt. Goat "Harvesting" I would shoot them just off the road, Gut them, and roll them into the truck. See now you learned something today.

But because you are a moderator you win, as you can delete my post, if it hurts your feeling.
    Don't worry about hurting my feelings sir.

I never claimed to be pure as snow, though I do need a tan Per your example in driving: I don't pretend to have a bunch of driving experience or know more about driving or imply that I do not every speed so or state I never sped... also I never asked to know your information about goat "poaching" and am obviously too dense to and can't see how it would help a novice goat "hunter" like myself "hunt" them in the future but I am sure some gleaned some info from it some how. Seems more akin to poaching like how the guy that poached a ram on the Seward Highway south of Anchorage poached a ram a couple years ago, I could be wrong but I doubt many go looking to him for tactics on sheep hunting either...

I guess the info could be helpful for those not concerned about ADF&G's "silly rules".

This thread has gotten way off course...I apologize to the OP. Carrying on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Seems more akin to poaching like how the guy that poached a ram on the Seward Highway south of Anchorage poached a ram a couple years ago, I could be wrong but I doubt many go looking to him for tactics on goat hunting either...
    If you ever want to meet this guy, let me know. The dirtbag bought a place very close to mine and from the looks of things, hasnt changed his ways much. They should have taken away his hunting priveleges for life, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast