Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rope totes for shrimp pot lines ??

Default Rope totes for shrimp pot lines ??

I had a brain fart about coming up with a rope tote for the buoy and running lines for the shrimp gear, big enough to fit a set of complete 2 & 3 pot lines in a tote made with truck tarp body with a heavy duty mesh bottom so its drains and dries. Tote folds up and stores out of the way when not needed and/or use it to haul your fish up to the truck, wash fillets over the side of the boat and take it hunting in the fall to wash the meat in the stream. I'm going to try and have a couple of prototypes at the anchorage show so stop by to take a look. So what do ya think yea or nay on the rope totes ???
    By the way i spoke with a vendor today at the wasilla show that sews boat tops and canvas & does repairs. He's located across the palmer wasilla hwy from the old matsu creamery building, local young guy so stop by and give him some business. He'll be sewing the rope tote prototypes for me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

By no repilies does that mean i have a bad idea ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I'd bet most just can't picture it
    that sounds similar to the way we store lines while Tub Gear Longlining,...
    one of my favorites for line storage was someone, made up a Skate Bottom out of tarp, that actually folded up into a
    sort of tarp bucket,...with lines on corners, easy to tie up and store

a Very efficient way to deal with a slew of line,
    is a lot safer way to deal with lines also, on a crowded deck

can you come up with a picture somehow ? I'd say it's gonna sell, once they can see it

"Good Biz," to ya, at the show, wish I could stop by
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

We use a large round trashcan with a few holes poked in the bottom for drainage. It's a little overkill for a shrimp line since we can store 300 fathoms of line in one and our shrimp lines are closer to 200 fathoms, but it works well for storage and moving around the deck. We put a broomstick in one of the handles on the side to place our pot loops on. It keeps everything straight and free of tangles for quick deployment. Of course, we're dealing with a lot of deckspace, so storage is less of an issue for us than most sport boats.

I've got limited room on board, likely store pots and line on top of the HT. I would be interested in any lightweight, collapsible way to store lines. Sounds like an interesting product to me. I was planning on stopping by at the Sportsmans show to take a look.

I got a couple of those "collapsible, spring into shape" mesh laundry carriers for my lines. I haven't used them yet, but they should work ok. I'm sure Steve's tote would be much more durable, though.

Here's the first prototype i had him make it 22"x22"x22" and i think its a bit to big but i haven't tried to flake in a couple of lines in it yet. Made it out of that black heavy duty waterproof material(truck tarp) and the bottom is mesh so the water will drain, reinforced with nylon webbing that wraps all the way around the bottom and then forms 2 handles on top. He's trying to make another tote before the show and that one will be a bit smaller 20"x20"x18".
    I'll tell you guys one thing and thats Rick at AK Custom Outfitters (357-8555) made this prototype in no time even though he has a boat in the shop that getting a new top. Yup he can bring your boat into the shop to do the work !! He likes doing repairs as well as new work. I'll have some of his business cards at the show so stop by take a look at the totes and grab a card.20130325_175233[1].jpg20130325_175302[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Those look nice Steve, How we'll do they stand while you pile line in?

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    Those look nice Steve, How we'll do they stand while you pile line in?
    just roll the top over a bit, the shorter size will stand up better.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I like it, but have some questions about the bottom of the bag. I see there are some pretty big gaps in the strapping. Would that make some of the line fall out when you pick them up? maybe if you throw one more strap across the middle, that might give it more support when carrying some distance. Just a suggestion but i think you are onto something. right now i use the kids, plastic barrels with the rope handles to hold each one of my 2-3 pot strings, and just set the bous right on top. The problem with those is just like you said, no where to put them once they are empty.

Jojo,
    I had the same thought about the large gaps but it appears there is a flap that covers the floor but is not sealing the floor thus allowing the water to escape. It appears Steve was holding the flap up to show us the reinforcement under the floor.
    Anyhow, looks great Steve. Should be a hit, especially with the smaller boats that need more room on deck, since these will collapse when empty.
    Great thinking!
    BK

I'm thinking there is some small mesh in the bottom and those straps are just for extra support. I really like them. I'd be interested in the bigger one for sure as I run a line of about 850' for all 5 of my pots.

Steve, I'll see ya on Saturday.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

guys the bottom is a mesh material like they use on the brailer bags that you see hanging off the sides of the bowpickers in whittier. The capacity i'm shooting for is to be able to hold a complete 2 pot and a 3 pot line(aprox 1800') in the tote .
    The one pictured has 3 uninflated A2 buoys in it with room to spare and thats a case of coke in front of it to give you a idea of the size, i think the smaller sized model will have plenty of room for 2 complete lines. The fabricator and myself are trying to size it as big a possible but not have to waste material to keep the cost as low as possible.
    P3261165.JPGP3261167.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I'm thinking there is some small mesh in the bottom and those straps are just for extra support. I really like them. I'd be interested in the bigger one for sure as I run a line of about 850' for all 5 of my pots.

Steve, I'll see ya on Saturday.
    yup mesh bottom for drainage and the webbing straps run all the way around the bag and form the handles at the top. You'll be looking for your rope in the bottom of that bag, i sized it to hold one of my lines, 2 900' buoylines and a 10 pot float line !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Sounds great. I'll be picking one up for sure. Anything that helps clear up deck space. AND WORKS!
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yeah Steve, you have a good idea there,..for sure

Nice Pics,...if I didn't already own so many tubs for my gear, I'd consider buying about 30 of those from ya
    I may yet do it
    Love the idea of them folding up stashing easy when empty

it looks like there's some kind of buckle on the one side, up near the rim,...(pic one, post 13)
    does that have a cinch down kind of strap w/buckle, on the other side,...
    to make 'em a tight bundle, that can be tossed around when full of line and all tightened up ?

I sure like those,...
    have you got a pricetag on them yet ?

So, it's over 300 fathoms of line, if I got that right...what size line are you guys using ? 5/16th's maybe ?

As I think about it, another consideration for you, is to have various sizes,....just a couple I mean
    but a shorter one, for the guy with less gear

For example, I predominately run 125 fa shots, for nearly everything, but also like to have 50 fa and even some 20 fathom
    shots around, for, "surprise depth adjustment," tacking on extra,....( I bet you can picture that ,...)

or, if I end up fishing up in the Rockpiles, much Shallower....also, if I want to make minor adjustments,...
    it's nice to have the shorter shots easily identifiable
    as it is now, I have all the same size tubs,...and just have color coded painted ends,...pile a bunch of 20's, in one tub,...or 4-50's

would be cool to have shorter bags, that are clearly the shorter shots of gear,...
    maybe just one Large size, and one Medium size,...??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

The one in the pic does have a snap buckle but i was thinking of leaving them off, adds about 3 bucks to the cost, so maybe just a set of nice big gromets but i'll rethink the buckle. I use 5/16 esterpro for my buoylines(sinks like a stone) and 5/16 polysteel for the floating running lines so thats what i figured making the bags to fit, with a lot of guys using my braided sink rope(no coiling) i know they will be able to get 2 shrimp set ups in the bags easily. Making different sizes might be in the future but right now with the short notice i'll be lucky if the fabricator will be able to have the smaller sized model done by friday for the guys to see at the show. I just met him this weekend so its kinda a rush job. You know how things go the first few are the hardest to make and i don't want to be throwing away waste material that has to be charged for. I'm going to load one of my lines in today and see how it stacks up in the bag. Maybe i'll end up making them completly out of brailer material just have to see whats most cost effective. Glad to see there is some interest in them, they won't have a walmart price on them but they'll be built to last.

If you just need to shorten your buoylines just do a couple of half hitches on each side of the coil i use it all the time shrimpin' no problems and saves time if you need to add or shorten the buoylines.
    P3261169.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

here's a shot with a 10 pot floating line and 2 900' buoylines and there is still room.
    20130326_141236[1].jpg20130326_141256[1].jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

What are you looking at for cost? I'm interested, I love idea of being able to fold the bag for storage while the pots soak. Tired of kicking around an empty tote on deck before pulling.

Steve, I like the idea, but to me they are too large. Do a lot of guys run 2 900' shots of line? Maybe they do and I am just out of the loop. I use 1 shot of 900'. If I did run 2 shots of line, they would be closer to 700' or less. If the idea is to save space, I think I would like them smaller. Also, is the material strong enough to hold its shape and stand up for easy filling after multiple foldings and being stashed? I like to just let the line peel off my Electrodyne and fall into the tub. Please don't think that I am bashing them, this is just what I would look for. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast