Thread: Walther PPX 9x19

Default Walther PPX 9x19

Any thoughts on this new(er) entry into the wonder nine category of handguns? Had a chance to look one over because a student ask me about one, it "felt good in her hand" and the clerk said "It wouldn't kick" Just wondered if anyone had shot one of these and had a chance to evaluate it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Not looked at this personally, but had a P99 for a while. I know the PPX is the budget Walther 9mm, but that budget goes all wrong when you start paying for Walther mags ($50 and up), then try and find a good holster. Walther make some good guns, but they really are 'off-brand' and the aftermarket does not support them. I was tempted by the Walther PPQ, but reminded myself of my P99 days and stuck away. Bought myself a 1985 parkerized Hi-Power instead and wondered why I ever went down the poly gun route! I had forgotten how good a Hi-Power feels.

I was also looking at the PPQ. I have a P22 and it's a fine gun of their modern series. Notice there is already a v2 of the PPQ series.

The muzzle flip is one of the common complaints of the PPX. It has a higher bore axis than a Glock for sure. I have shot a PPQ and a Glock 17 side by side and there is definitely a difference, with the Glock having less perceived recoil. The PPQ feels better in the hand and has a far better trigger than the Glock. I think Walther tossed away the one good thing about the PPQ, the trigger, when it made the PPX. Getting magazines and holsters for either the PPQ or PPX right now is almost impossible. I've been able to buy Glock 17 magazines repeatedly since December, my friend with the PPQ can't find any anywhere. Of course, finding a holster for a Glock 17 is really easy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The muzzle flip is one of the common complaints of the PPX. It has a higher bore axis than a Glock for sure. I have shot a PPQ and a Glock 17 side by side and there is definitely a difference, with the Glock having less perceived recoil. The PPQ feels better in the hand and has a far better trigger than the Glock. I think Walther tossed away the one good thing about the PPQ, the trigger, when it made the PPX. Getting magazines and holsters for either the PPQ or PPX right now is almost impossible. I've been able to buy Glock 17 magazines repeatedly since December, my friend with the PPQ can't find any anywhere. Of course, finding a holster for a Glock 17 is really easy.
    Thanks. That's good info. I get asked a lot if questions about these new offerings mainly because of the budget price. I can't test drive everything and students expect me to be all knowing about every new piece. Of course availability in the shops now is a big factor. There aren't any Glocks or XDs or much of anything really the better known brands go so quickly. Some of the newer stuff have some good attributes. None are perfect but pistols for newbys are almost always bought based on grip "feel" and price. Neither should be sole considerations. I'm also amazed that folks don't dry fire the trigger before buying. Honestly everybody needs a class before they buy.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?