Thread: reloading 300 win mag

Default reloading 300 win mag

well I have been trying to hold out for some reloader 22 to load my 300 win mag, but couldnt pass up 5lbs of reloader 17. It looks like it get alittle more volocity than the 22 with less powder. dose anybody have any experience with this powder. my load will be 180 grain nosler partition charge well whatever the rifle likes.

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    well I have been trying to hold out for some reloader 22 to load my 300 win mag, but couldnt pass up 5lbs of reloader 17. It looks like it get alittle more volocity than the 22 with less powder. dose anybody have any experience with this powder. my load will be 180 grain nosler partition charge well whatever the rifle likes.
    All I can tell you is that RL-17 is some good stuff and even compressable. If you have reloading manuals and can figure out comparable case sizes if no specs are available, you can work up your own loads as I had to do for my Mossin 7.62X54. It comes out just between 30-06 and 308 Win and I worked up some nice loads for it, but you should have a chrono at the range and take lots of notes as far as velocity versus accuracy, and for sure check your cases for any signs of stress. Alliant may even have a load listed on their website for 300 mag by now. Main thing, as they say, start low on your charges and work up to a load that works for you. You won't be sorry with 17 if you do it right.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Here ya go, I just checked and Alliant has starting loads worked up for 300 Win Mag with RL17. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I worked up a load with RL-17 and 180gr Balistic Tip Noslers a couple years ago. At that time there wasn't data for that combination, I went with 4350 data and worked up slow. The results were very good, better than H4831 or RL-22 in accuracy and velocity. RL-22 produced large muzzle flash.

The final load was:

RL-17 @ 68.7gr
    Win Brass 2.612
    Fed 215M
    Nosler 180gr Ballistic tip
    Velocity 3026fps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7955.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	69293

Disregard the COAL information because you're planning a different 180gr bullet shape. I would start the Partition at .025" off the lands if you have the tools and ability to measure it. I've had good luck with the Partition in a number of rifles set back that distance. This rifle was a SS Ruger M77 Hawkeye.

I'm happy to see in the link that I'm below Alliant's current published 180gr max load data (70.5gr).