Thread: new predator rifle

Default new predator rifle

So i'm at a a cross road, i'm trying to decide on a new rifle that i would use for predators. I think the caliber that I'm going with will be the 223 because the ammo is readily available, and more fur friendly than my frist choice which was a 22-250. and i load for my ar 15. so hear is my 2 rifles I have it narrowed to 223 tikka t3 synthetic stock stainless fluted barrel or a ar platform with a 24 inch bull barrel 1/8 twist. leaning towards the bolt action for dependability in the cold weather and I feel it would be a more accurate for the longer shots

With the tikka I'm not sure what rate of twist I should get. the faster 1-8 for an all around bullet or just stick with the 1-12 that would be more accurate with the varmint weight bullets.

the scope I will be putting on is the Nikon m223 4x16 with the nikoplex reticle

.223 is a great caliber for predators if you want to use regular 55 grain bullets dont go 1/8twist i had that same twist on a remington ar and it wouldnt shoot a ligjt bullet for crap . I have a single shot .223 that has a 1/12 and that thing couldnt be anymore accurate

You can't go wrong with the Tikka for sure, another calyou might look at would be 17 win super mag. I have been looking at that for abit and that one may be my next shooter. I have the Nikon M223 in 3.5x14 BDCturrets for one of my target AR I would not go any further in power that the 14because of dark lighting condition. You will also find that on the Nikon... theBDC turrets tend to get turned un-inadvertently when putting in rifle casesduring transport. I have been happy with the scope, I rarely shoot past the 600yrd turret max with that cal so it works find for me.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default 17 super mag

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    You can't go wrong with the Tikka for sure, another calyou might look at would be 17 win super mag. I have been looking at that for abit and that one may be my next shooter. I have the Nikon M223 in 3.5x14 BDCturrets for one of my target AR I would not go any further in power that the 14because of dark lighting condition. You will also find that on the Nikon... theBDC turrets tend to get turned un-inadvertently when putting in rifle casesduring transport. I have been happy with the scope, I rarely shoot past the 600yrd turret max with that cal so it works find for me.

I was really thinking hard on the .17 super mag, but I dont think think it would have what i wanted if a wolf was to wonder past. I also have seen big coyotes get hit with the 17 and shrug it off leading into multiple shots. not saying its not a hell of a gun. i would love to get one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    I was really thinking hard on the .17 super mag, but I dont think think it would have what i wanted if a wolf was to wonder past. I also have seen big coyotes get hit with the 17 and shrug it off leading into multiple shots. not saying its not a hell of a gun. i would love to get one myself.
    Not sure but I think your talking about the 17 rem or the 17 fireball, maybe the 17 hmr... the 17 wsm hasn't even hit the market yet, savage plans to offer a rifle next month. It is a rimfire round in 25 cal. Necked down to 17 with pretty impresive ballistics (for a rimfire anyways) out to several hundred yards... it will be my next rifle for groundhogs and coyotes here in ohio but I agree, if wolves roamed our fields I would be shoping for a larger rifle

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

what confuses me about the tikka, is why in the world would someone take an action that is long enough to cycle 30-06 cartridges, and chamber a rifle for a micro sized cartridge? Why didn't they jut make a more trim action?

Check out the CZ's. They make a true micro bolt rifle, size appropriately for the 223 sizes cartridges:
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rifles/

Don't know where your hunting but I put a 4-16 scope on my predator AR and I hate it. Way too narrow field of view for 90% of th places I end up hunting. My AR has a polymer lower and it performed flawlessly all winter, we hunted one evening that got to -15 and the AR cycled fine. I was a bit worried about that polymer in the cold but I bought it when they were cheap and it did just fine.