Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ~2013 Haul Road Report~

Default ~2013 Haul Road Report~

Just wondering if anyone has been up the road recently?

Thanks for setting up the 2013 thread!!

I am wondering the same thing...anyone been lately? Or what's the statistics for April based on previous years...

From reading las years thread people were up there like crazy in 2012, but that's just from reading the forum. I'm also waiting for the report. Thinking of heading up again mid April was up in February and nothing but Moscox were to be found

We saw a bunch as far south as Coldfoot at the end of April last year. I will be making a trip mid to late month and will post the outcome.

Can anyone help I interpret the regs for me a up to the end of April everything north of atigun is open to hunting then it starts talking about longitude ad latitude lines for the no closed season areas. Anyone got a clearer answer of what or was closes in April and how far north you need to be starting in may.

My wife and I drove up over the weekend (March 30-31). No caribou or evidence of caribou anyplace north or south of the range within sight of the road. We did not drive the last 60 miles into Deadhorse as there did not seem to be any point in that. The folks we spoke to while we were up there did not have anything different to report.

Just because the season is open, doesnt meen that there will be animals to hunt.

Most off the caribou are probably heading back to the calving areas for spring.

RJ Simington

I'll be driving up on Saturday, so hopefully they have started moving through by then. I heard of a musher heading off around Chandlar and doing well. They must have found a good area to hang out, but there really wasn't much snow south of the pass for most of the winter, so I don't think they had to move much to scrape for food

Jerod, heard about some large groups of bou moving along the road between Chandalar shelf and Galbraith Lake. Should be filtering through all week. Good luck.

larry

Sweet, thanks for the update. Hopefully I'll confirm that in a few days.

Got my date set for the 19th don't kill em all

Any new info on caribou crossing over the Brooks range yet? Last reports we have (as some of you noted), was that they were pretty stationary on the Chandalar Shelf. We are headed up on Tues. to the slope...

Can't wait to go later this year!

Larry, you gotta work on your sources man, whoever told you that was smoking something.

I didn't see caribou 1 on the drive up today. No moose either, and that season closes tomorrow.

The road is great up Pump 4, then it gets SLICK! I didn't see any tracks north of the pass, and nothing around Chandlar either. I did see where a couple of small herds were working through the woods further south though, around MP220 or so. There are a few groups of dog sled hunters working east from the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Larry, you gotta work on your sources man, whoever told you that was smoking something.

I didn't see caribou 1 on the drive up today. No moose either, and that season closes tomorrow.

The road is great up Pump 4, then it gets SLICK! I didn't see any tracks north of the pass, and nothing around Chandlar either. I did see where a couple of small herds were working through the woods further south though, around MP220 or so. There are a few groups of dog sled hunters working east from the road.
    Ditto. All the way to Deadhorse and back today and NOTHING. Word has it the sled hunters weren't having any luck either.

By talking with one of the truckers I'm getting the same info. Some tracks further south but no bou spotted.

Drove home last night, nothing to be seen. Mushers are still out, and saw a group of four snowmachines with meat sleds headed into the hills north of Toolik and south of Slope Mountain. Hopefully it was locals and not somebody that didn't know the rules. I did get a couple fox picking up traps on my way south, both nice and large, one red and one cross. Got outsmarted by a lynx who broke in the back enterance on my cubby set. Was hoping for some end of the season luck on the line, and the fox will do just fine.

Knowing Bou change routs all the time and do as they please, do you think that's what happening (keepin away from the road)?? Or do you think that they are just late and will make a push near the road within the next month or so? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tacpswank View Post
    Knowing Bou change routs all the time and do as they please, do you think that's what happening (keepin away from the road)?? Or do you think that they are just late and will make a push near the road within the next month or so? Thoughts?
    My guess is they are running late...maybe the abnormal cold temps are throwing them off???

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast