Thread: ABA Banquet Legislative Update

Default ABA Banquet Legislative Update

For those of you that went to the banquet, I found Jack Frost's legislative update to be very informative and it has given me a lot to think about. His analogy with 1000 yard rifle shooters was quite compelling. I agree, this type of legislation is geared to stop hunting and is not about ethics...anyone else feel moved by this???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

mind posting or explaining it for those that didnt go?

In SE Alaska they have already started this. Any shot with an arrow that touches a deer (I think) must be counted as a kill and go as harvested. Jack has asked that the wording at least be changed to "a lethal" shot, but he is getting push back on that idea. This only effects archery, and his point was, what about rifle hunters that take long shots...if the animal does not fall, how many of them even walk over to see if there is a blood trail? The whole concept is a can of worms, and to me, looks like another way to just stop all hunting. I think this is a topc worth become an activist over...Keep an Eye out for this legislation!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I'm not a bow hunter, but use to be. I do a lot of duck hunting and would hate to think that I had to consider any bird that I shot at that picked up a couple pellets as part of my kill and limit. I do, as part of my own ethics, consider birds knocked down but not recovered as part of that days limit, but that is just me. Biologists, when they set the limits for waterfowl, take into consideration the percentage of wounded ducks and the percentage of those that die of their wounds and set limits to include those and still maintain the bird population for the future. I'm very sure that limits/seasons for all animals consider the relevant number of unharvisted animals that were hit, in setting the limits. This sounds like a PETA thing to me. Bud
    Wasilla