Thread: Alcan Highway Honeymoon

Default Alcan Highway Honeymoon

Hello everyone,
    Im not sure if this is the "proper" place to ask my question, because I am not really "relocating" as i already live up here. I am currently living in
    North Pole Alaska and have driven the Alcan highway 4 or 5 times, so I am quite familiar with the rout. I have always driven up though with the intent of getting to Fairbanks as fast as possible though, so lots of night driving and not much exploring. I am going to be getting married in May, and as a honeymoon my fiancée and I will drive up to my house in North Pole (she and I are originally from Oregon) where she will then live with me. So I was wanting some input on what rout to take so we can see some of the more beautiful sights that Canada and Alaska has to offer. The rout that I have always taken in drive up is roughly Seattle--> Abbotsford --> Hope --> Cache Creek --> Dawson Creek --> Whitehorse --> Fairbanks. But when we drive up for our honeymoon, we want to take a little more time going through and maybe take some longer routs to see the sights, I was thinking of maybe even taking the klondike highway through Dawson City. A little extra information, we are definitely outdoors people and don't like cities very much, so we are not interested in visiting big cities, we also don't particularly like touristy spots where there are lots of people.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

LLiard hot springs is worth stopping at. 3 springs, the upper one being the most secluded and deep enough to dive into.
    Kluane pronvincial park is another place to slow down and enjoy the scenery at.
    BK

Detour east a bit and drive through Banff and Jasper; the scenery is jaw-dropping. You'll never forget it. It does get touristy, but shouldn't be bad in May.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Detour east a bit and drive through Banff and Jasper; the scenery is jaw-dropping. You'll never forget it. It does get touristy, but shouldn't be bad in May.
    You said it there... Elk walking downtown, scenery... Awesome stop for sure... I also like toad river area for the mountain scenery and wildlife...

I second heading through Banff. There are plenty of things to do along the way, I would recommend spending atleast 3 days in the park. It's stunning.

Telegraph Creek and spend a day or two on the Stikeen river the first gold rush.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stickeen_Territories
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Telegraph Creek and spend a day or two on the Stikeen river the first gold rush.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stickeen_Territories
    Always wanted to do this, but I never take the Cassiar, cause then I'd miss the Liard springs (decisions, decisions) Would love to check out that Spatsizi country someday. Very historic area.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

The Stikeen has hot springs also but folks prefer keeping them local use.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choquet...rovincial_Park
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tonga...a/?recid=79159
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thank you everyone for your input, my fiancée and I have decided to make the trip up through Banff and Jasper (I found out after I mentioned the idea to her that when she was there as a kid, it had been her dream to go there for her honeymoon), then on through and make a stop at Liard Hot Springs, then take the Klondike Highway through Dawson City. Again thank you all for the fun ideas, and not that you know the rout we will be taking, feel free to make suggestions on things stop for along the way!

On my trip last Summer the Top spring at Laird was closed. It looked and sounded like it was permanent. Something to do with bears and upkeep of the area. The big spring with the changing rooms next to it was open and a great place to be after much driving. Laird will always be on my list of stops on the trip.

Congrats on finding a Bride.Pray you have many years together.

Congrats, married to the second wife for almost 3 years now. Waited until I was in my mid-30's to do it again, and it was a great decision. Family makes life wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkoosikas View Post
    Thank you everyone for your input, my fiancée and I have decided to make the trip up through Banff and Jasper (I found out after I mentioned the idea to her that when she was there as a kid, it had been her dream to go there for her honeymoon)
    You da man!! Making a wife happy can be tricky, sounds like you'll do fine Don't forget to stock up on them good Cuban cigars while in Canada....just in case!

Check out the possibility of making the side trip from Whitehorse down to Skagway. Takhini hot springs is just after Whitehorse on the road to Dawson. And be sure to stop at Braeburn lodge for a giant cinnamon roll.