Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunting Boots - Lightweight Mountaineering

Default Sheep Hunting Boots - Lightweight Mountaineering

Anybody use the some of the newer lighter weight mounatin boots such as Scarpa Triolet or Scarpa Charmoz, Lowa Vajolet, or LaSportiva Trango? I'm currently using Lowa Tibets but thinking I could save 1/2 pound or so per boot with something of these styles. They have some mesh materials which is one reason they are lighter so I'm concerned about them getting cut on rocks, etc. They are designed for mounatinering so I'm assuming they are durable. I'm looking at a fairly log walk in trip this season so interested in cutting weight on my feet, but I don't want to sacrafice durability. I'm also guessing they will dry faster which is a plus. Any experiences appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DeskJockey View Post
    Anybody use the some of the newer lighter weight mounatin boots such as Scarpa Triolet or Scarpa Charmoz, Lowa Vajolet, or LaSportiva Trango? I'm currently using Lowa Tibets but thinking I could save 1/2 pound or so per boot with something of these styles. They have some mesh materials which is one reason they are lighter so I'm concerned about them getting cut on rocks, etc. They are designed for mounatinering so I'm assuming they are durable. I'm looking at a fairly log walk in trip this season so interested in cutting weight on my feet, but I don't want to sacrafice durability. I'm also guessing they will dry faster which is a plus. Any experiences appreciated.
    I run a pair of the lite weight Mammut Mamook GTX boots for three years and loved them, my lab pup chewed them up this winter, so I just got a pair of Scarpa Omega's because some of my hard core sheep hunting buddies love the Omega's!....they feel real nice and are lite weight, they retail for $380.00, but I got mine off e-bay (brand new) for $200.00!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by DeskJockey View Post
    They are designed for mounatinering so I'm assuming they are durable.
    You really shouldn't assume this. What type of mountaineering are they designed for.....a run up a mountain and back or full fledged expedition? I too would be concerned about them getting chewed up on rocks. The other thing I have to wonder, with them being fairly lightweight, is how well they will hold up to your weight as well as the weight of a whole ram and all your gear on your back. I have personally blown out boots under this massive amount of weight. You say they are a mesh type boot. Are they rigid? I feel a good pair of sheep hunting boots have to have some fairly rigid ankle support. You need that for side hilling to save your ankles. This is why people go to plastics. If you can bend them over like a regular pair of hunting boots then they aren't going to be good for sheep hunting.....imo.

Just some things to think about.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have the Scarpa Charmoz, Scarpa Triolet, and a ligher weight pair of Scarpa boots as well. I've worn both the Charmoz and Triolet on sheep hunts and put lots of training miles on them. The "mesh" on the Charmoz is a tightly woven synthetic material and has shown no more visible wear than any other part of the boot. Both boots are made for the mountians, have stiff soles, and have very good ankle support, not to mention Scarpa has one of the best heel pocket designs I've found. I've found the Charmoz to pick up nicks in the synthetic after days in the sharp scree more so than the Triolet. The Triolet combines leather and synthetic and are just plain awesome for me. Just slightly heavier than the Charmoz but with a little added durability. The Triolets are really worth taking a look at. I'll be wearing mine again on this years sheep hunt.

With lightweight mountain boots like these on the market I don't know why anyone would strap 4.5-5 pound pair of boots on their feet. Find a pair that fits great and hit the mountains.

Bunny Boots!!! hehe...

I have used the La Sportiva trango boots for sheep & goat they were great lightweight choice, Still look like new . the synthetic material has proved to be tough & very waterproof.
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

I've seen some really chewed up pairs of trangos... Nice light weight boot but i wouldn't use them if you plan on shale or heavy loads.

Ramhunter, I'm surprised you weren't runnin' with plastics, I have both the Scarpa Omegas, and the new Koflach degre's...the only boots I'll roll with and they are light but durable, to be honest I prefer the Omegas over the koflachs mainly due to a lower profile toe and comfort, they both run the same intuition liners, but with the omegas I can dig those toes into soft shale and rock on steeper inclines. You'll enjoy them ...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Ramhunter, I'm surprised you weren't runnin' with plastics, I have both the Scarpa Omegas, and the new Koflach degre's...the only boots I'll roll with and they are light but durable, to be honest I prefer the Omegas over the koflachs mainly due to a lower profile toe and comfort, they both run the same intuition liners, but with the omegas I can dig those toes into soft shale and rock on steeper inclines. You'll enjoy them ...
    I know huh?...I ran the Cabelas Canadian Hunters for years, when three years ago a got the Mammut Mamook GTX’s although they were not as stiff as Omega’s they were close, I saw the different they made up-hilling, side-hilling and packing heavy loads! Some buddies who wear and love them kept telling me the Omega’s were the way to go for years, guess I’m just hard-headed…lol
    I like the Glacier sock thingy too, I have two sheep hunts planned for this year, my youngest son drew DS165 so will be doing at aug 14th, my oldest son and I are going into a very hard core area I found last year by accident later in the first part of sept, so thinking the Omega’s will work very well for me and my boys are getting Omega’s too! I haven’t been this excited about sheep hunting in years!....grin

Yeah I hear ya, I got three sheep hunts planned, mine, my wife's who is hoping to cash out on her DS137 tag, and my oldest son who wants his first ram. The boots will see alot of miles on them this season.

Some good suggestions for boots! I need to get myself a pair. How are the Omegas for narrow high arched feet? Oh, and Chuck...I saw you in Sportsman's the other day but didn't want to bother you. You seemed to be doing some seriously gun browsing. HAHAHA

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Some good suggestions for boots! I need to get myself a pair. How are the Omegas for narrow high arched feet? Oh, and Chuck...I saw you in Sportsman's the other day but didn't want to bother you. You seemed to be doing some seriously gun browsing. HAHAHA

AZinAK
    Man why didn't you come over and say hello, I was just getting a scope for one of my rifles..... I'm always in there checking out new stuff.
    as for the omegas, you just gotta try 'em on and walk around the store with them, if they don't agree with your feet , you'll know.

Yeah I hear ya, I got three sheep hunts planned, mine, my wife's who is hoping to cash out on her DS137 tag, and my oldest son who wants his first ram. The boots will see alot of miles on them this season.
    That's awesome three sheep hunts and two with your family!...my oldest son got his first sheep in that same area over on the Eagle river side!....good luck Chuck to you and your family!

Dave

Man why didn't you come over and say hello, I was just getting a scope for one of my rifles..... I'm always in there checking out new stuff.
    as for the omegas, you just gotta try 'em on and walk around the store with them, if they don't agree with your feet , you'll know.
    Yeah, I should have. Some times I feel goofy walking up to some of the guys I've come to know here on the forum...there's that feeling like we all are close friends on here, when in reality we don't really know one another and have seldom actually met in person. I did that with BRWNBR in Fred Meyer and I think he thought I was a "crazy" at first! HAHAHA Good guy though. You and I met last year at Pizza Man. One of the sheep you posted is my inspirational pic for sheep hunting. Good advise on letting your feet decide. Next year will hopefully be my sheep year!

AZinAK

What is a good insulate strength
    to go with when choosing a boot

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    What is a good insulate strength
    to go with when choosing a boot
    For leathers I would go with uninsulated.

I thought 3 hunts a year was the norm...granted none are for me, but ya know I'm a good pack mule

As for plastics, well I'm too much of a pansy to hunt terrain that would warrant such footwear and stick to leathers and leave the plastics to those that repel for their sheep and what not

I'm not a fan of insulation in my sheep hunting boots or in any of my fall hunting boots for that matter. I find them too dang hot. I've found my plain gore-tex mountain boots plenty adequate for keeping my feet warm in the mountains. Even on October mountain hunts with freezing temps at night and some snow I haven't needed insulation. I wear some 200 gr Meindl boots once the snow is starting to fall but not until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I thought 3 hunts a year was the norm...granted none are for me, but ya know I'm a good pack mule

As for plastics, well I'm too much of a pansy to hunt terrain that would warrant such footwear and stick to leathers and leave the plastics to those that repel for their sheep and what not
    You are a good pack mule, I heard it from every body, might as well be good at it the way your wife keeps drawing sheep tags ....

You are a good pack mule, I heard it from every body, might as well be good at it the way your wife keeps drawing sheep tags ....
    Very true....hoping to try something new this year and go on a sheep hunt where I will be first shooter, but we'll see Back to boots...I tried the Koflach's in the store in several sizes and they didn't agree with my feet. The Omegas might I guess, but I just don't feel like I'm losing anything with a good leather boot. Like I said though I don't hunt the sketch terrain like most hardcore sheep hunters do I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast